Dating tweed

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Paul D

Dating tweed

Post by Paul D »

Gentlemen,
Has anyone ever managed to "crack" the serial number printed on the Harris tweed label?
Reason I ask is I have just bought a jacket that was described and indeed appears to be un-worn and as new, thing is it was originally retailed by "Dunn & co".
Research tells me they went out of business around 1990 making my "new" jacket 25 years old!
I would love to know its exact age etc. :Hat:

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Dating tweed

Post by The Old Buffer »

The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Reminds me of when I was back at work investigating.......

The number on the Harris Tweed label identifies the crofter or manufacture that wove the cloth. It should also identifies the person/manufacturer/organization that made the tweed fabric for Harris Tweed. The number can only give you the earliest time period of the article, not the exact date.....

Alternatively you could contact the:

The Harris Tweed Authority
Town Hall
2 Cromwell Street
Stornoway
Isle of Lewis
HS1 2DB
Telephone
+44 (0)1851 702 269
The Harris Tweed Authority is the legal guardian of Harris Tweed and the Orb trademark with powers granted by the Harris Tweed Act of Parliament 1993. They should be able to decipher the code.......

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Many thanks chaps :Hat:

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Ah, Dunn & Co, used to love that shop in my teens, I'm sure it closed later than 1990 though, thanks for reminder...

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Apparently Dunn & Co. finally called in the receivers in December, 1996.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 15374.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

"Dating tweed" This is a topic my girlfriend would be an expert on. As I am rarely out of the stuff.

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”