ARMY SURPLUS CLOTHING

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Bob Brookes
Zander

ARMY SURPLUS CLOTHING

Post by Bob Brookes »

As recently as the 1980’s waterproof clothing wasn’t specifically made for anglers. Back in the 1950’s and 60’s I remember using a yellow oilskin bicycle cape, draped over me and my basket. It also doubled up when I rode my bike home! I coupled this up with a yellow oilskin sou'wester to stop the water running down my neck. I certainly wasn’t concerned about camouflage in those days.

In the 1970’s I recall quite clearly wax jackets that needed to be frequently treated, yet still leaked on the seams. The first bespoke angling waterproofs I bought for myself, and my son Stu, was the Bob Church wax all-in-one bought in circa 1986. Again they leaked on the seams across the shoulders, following a prolonged soaking. Not only that they were really stiff when cold so you needed to nearly dislocated your shoulder to take them off!

What on earth did we do before even these basic items were available to us anglers? What I and many others did was to visit army surplus stores. The stuff may not have been the most stylish, but the clothing was made to the very highest standards with top quality materials. I remember jackets with West German insignia on the shoulders very were good. Not got much street credibility, but they did keep you warm and dry. There was also the very versatile poncho, much like my old cycle cape.

In the 2000’s I invested in a ‘waterproof’ two piece bib and brace and padded jacket ensemble in a fetching ‘Realtree’ pattern. Not very traditional, but very warm for a winter fisherman. It was also waterproof, but not for long. Again it was across the shoulders which eventually got soaked, after just a couple of years use. In the 2010’s that rig out was dumped in favour of Berghaus Goretex long jacket and waterproof over-trousers. This is a really good set of clothing and I have nothing but good things to say about it. However, that isn’t the purpose of this article.

Last winter I was fishing with Hermit and, for some reason, I had not packed the requisite clothing when I loaded my gear in his car. It was a cold and windy day and he offered me a British ex-army Goretex jacket. It was too large but was totally wind and waterproof and I was impressed, particularly when I knew the cost. To get a ‘fishing’ jacket in that material with sealed seams and zips could cost in excess of £200.

When I got home I was soon searching the internet for military surplus clothing. I have since acquired a pre-issued (second hand, but as new) jacket for round about £35 and a new pair of Goretex over trousers for £30. They are in the latest Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP) which is the current standard army issue. I have bought a size large enough to wear layers underneath to suit any weather conditions. I have been wearing it during summer showers and I am confident it will be great for cold winter sessions.

To me it is very ‘traditional’ in the true sense of the word. More so in my opinion than Norfolk jackets and tweeds for the ‘ordinary’ chap, or those trying to be a specimen angler.

Discuss!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Richard C
Brown Trout

Re: ARMY SURPLUS CLOTHING

Post by Richard C »

No argument from me Bob. :Thumb:
Have used army surplus store for 25 - 30 years, everything from a poncho to ex- army boots. Quality, reliable and has quite a extensive range of items that would suit many outdoor pursuits. Without the price tag which a fishing brand logo would incur.

I don't half get some funny looks fishing dressed like Captain Mainwearing tho! :Hahaha:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Another fan here, from my teenage years. But the old style Army Surplus stores (or even market stalls) seem to be few and far between these days. So I use these people: http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/. The camo shirts from them actually make rather good lightweight summer jackets and Goretex at their prices is a no-brainer. Though for boots I prefer Magnum Stealth if only because of the complete absence of any painful 'breaking-in' period.

Tradition is what you make it.
Last edited by Stathamender on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I have a weakness for Scandinavian army surplus, ruck sacks mainly. I often trawl the net looking for that special piece of army surplus, can't argue with the quality and price....

Certain pieces have become iconic and now almost impossible to find at reasonable prices...

These guys recondition army surplus stuff and hike up the price a bit, lovely stuff but a bit pricey...

https://www.wynnchester.co.uk/about-us/

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Scott wrote: Certain pieces have become iconic and now almost impossible to find at reasonable prices...
I really miss a) the M65 US Army combat jacket b) proper green floppy bush hats
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

So I use these people: http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/.

Yes, they are the ones I used.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

I used to frequent the army and navy store

me in 1990 :Sarcasm:

and I used a army 58 sleeping bag for the night fishing as it was the best thing on the market,feather down filling with built in ground sheet.

Last edited by Danny Boy on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Danny Boy wrote:I used to frequent the army and navy store

me in 1990 :Sarcasm:

Bet they don't fit you now :Hahaha:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

they might be a bit on the snug side :snooty:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I've still got my Goretex jacket (Navy issue) which is great. A couple of pairs of combat trousers. Since leaving, I've bought some cold weather combat boots, great bit of kit
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”