MK IV not close whipped

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
The Bishop
Perch

MK IV not close whipped

Post by The Bishop »

Hi I have seen a mk iv that is not close whipped were there many of these,as I've not seen one before.
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Watermole+
Chub

Re: MK IV not close whipped

Post by Watermole+ »

the bishop wrote:Hi I have seen a mk iv that is not close whipped were there many of these,as I've not seen one before.
Most of the good people on here are better informed on this than I am, but my original B.James Mk.4 Avon, bought second-hand almost unused, quite a few years ago now, has no intermediate tyings either. Also, the line-guides and joint ferrules are tied in green and the top of the handle is a different shape to most.

I have been told that my example is an early one and the finish varied a little according to when it was made, so yours may well be an earlier model too.

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

Many thanks,very encouraging.
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

The original Mk IVs, built by Richard Walker were never close whipped. In fact Walker loathed the whole idea of close whipping a rod, as with modern adhesives, it was unnecessary and only added cost and weight.

Walker stated:

"My friends who run tackle shops all tell me that closely spaced intermediate whippings are necessary to sell split cane rods. These whippings do very little harm and it is the buyer of the rod thay pays for them; if he likes then, who shall say him nay? I prefer to do without them and without paying for them."

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Ron Clay wrote:The original Mk IVs, built by Richard Walker were never close whipped. In fact Walker loathed the whole idea of close whipping a rod, as with modern adhesives, it was unnecessary and only added cost and weight.

Walker stated:

"My friends who run tackle shops all tell me that closely spaced intermediate whippings are necessary to sell split cane rods. These whippings do very little harm and it is the buyer of the rod thay pays for them; if he likes then, who shall say him nay? I prefer to do without them and without paying for them."
An interesting point Ron and apparently people still like them.
I visited Edward Barder last week and saw a Merlin being varnished and was surprised it had intermediates (as the original ones didn't) he said people overwhelmingly want intermediates as they like the look.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

The last split cane rod built by Richard Walker which had intermediate whippings was, I think, his Mk III which he gave to Chris Ball who took it home and renovated it.

Intermediate whippings may have had a purpose in the days before modern glues which came about because of the aircraft industry. The old glues were based on animal hoofs and horn and had a tendency to come apart, especially if water got in or they were over heated which melted the glue.
Last edited by Ron Clay on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Both Snape and my self have held the Mark III (and the Mark IV) Ron when we vested Chris at his home on one of our TFF outings.

A lovely rod it is, would love to give it a go.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Ron Clay wrote:The last split cane rod built by Richard Walker was, I think, his Mk III which he gave to Chris Ball who took it home and renovated it.
Interesting you should say that Ron. Edward Barder told me last week that the Walker MKIV which caught Clarissa is, in his opinion, not made (from scratch) by Walker but it has, in his words, Bob Southwell's DNA all over it....
Chris Ball rescued the MKIII from an umbrella stand in Walker's study when Walker said "that's a load of old bits an pieces for burning!"......
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

Snape wrote:
Ron Clay wrote:The last split cane rod built by Richard Walker was, I think, his Mk III which he gave to Chris Ball who took it home and renovated it.
Interesting you should say that Ron. Edward Barder told me last week that the Walker MKIV which caught Clarissa is, in his opinion, not made (from scratch) by Walker but it has, in his words, Bob Southwell's DNA all over it....
Chris Ball rescued the MKIII from an umbrella stand in Walker's study when Walker said "that's a load of old bits an pieces for burning!"......
Old Dick hardly ever valued old items of anything, including fishing tackle. If something better came along, he would acquire it and chuck what it had replaced into the rubbish bin.

Much like myself I suppose.

Alaudacorax

Post by Alaudacorax »

Snape wrote:... he said people overwhelmingly want intermediates as they like the look.
I must be an oddity - I think cane rods look so much more attractive without. Not that I have particularly strong feelings about it, but if I ever had a rod built (the waiting time has put me off that, so far) I'd specify without.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”