Grayling

Re: J.S.Sharpe Carp

Post by GhyllManor »

What a super rod BB, it will go nicely with a Len Arbery net! :Thumb:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

GhyllManor wrote:What a super rod BB, it will go nicely with a Len Arbery net! :Thumb:
It sure will. I can't wait to use that combo this spring.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Bob,

Both of my Sharpes 'The Carp' have non standard fittings throughout so I wouldn't compare them with yours :-)

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

SofaSurfer wrote:Bob,

Both of my Sharpes 'The Carp' have non standard fittings throughout so I wouldn't compare them with yours :-)
SS,
Thank you for that. I am now convinced that my rod is as it came from Sharpe's
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Bob Brookes wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:My Sharpes stalking rod is exactly the same Bob, the ceramics fall out over time. I've been meaning to search around for some to fit to my rod.
Hi KF,
Those rings were never lined.
Bob

Maybe they used both on mine then. I thought it was just the ceramics had fallen out but maybe what it was, is that somebody sourced replacement guides and could only get the unlined ones. Odd but I still love it.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've seen quite a lot of the original Sharpes of Aberdeen rods and admit to ownership. I'm certain that some (a batch perhaps) of the later production rods didn't have agate rings for tip and butt. The tip and butt rings fitted to this rod definitely have 'Sharpes' all over them. From what I can make out of the ring just below the female ferrule the other rings are to Sharpes pattern as well. I'll stick my neck out and say this is as original and made by Sharpes with these rings. I did write down the formula for dating the rods – it's on the internet somewhere. I think circa 1970 the system changed. I'm also of the view that these rods were made into the 1970's perhaps sometimes to order.

I've read that about 400 of each Carp and Avon were made but I have no idea if that can be confirmed. Hard to find in good condition as people who have them tend to hang onto them. I'd love to know how the taper compares to Walker's MkIV and also to Sharpes salmon spinning rods.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Beresford wrote:I've seen quite a lot of the original Sharpes of Aberdeen rods and admit to ownership. I'm certain that some (a batch perhaps) of the later production rods didn't have agate rings for tip and butt. The tip and butt rings fitted to this rod definitely have 'Sharpes' all over them. From what I can make out of the ring just below the female ferrule the other rings are to Sharpes pattern as well. I'll stick my neck out and say this is as original and made by Sharpes with these rings. I did write down the formula for dating the rods – it's on the internet somewhere. I think circa 1970 the system changed. I'm also of the view that these rods were made into the 1970's perhaps sometimes to order.

I've read that about 400 of each Carp and Avon were made but I have no idea if that can be confirmed. Hard to find in good condition as people who have them tend to hang onto them. I'd love to know how the taper compares to Walker's MkIV and also to Sharpes salmon spinning rods.
That is interesting as the seller said the rod was circa 1970's. The butt and tip rings were described as heavy duty hard chromed with Pezon and Michel Annaeux Cromex hard chrome lightweight intermediates. So much detail, so I must ask him if he has a catalogue!
Regards,
Bob

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Bob yes, do ask. Ask him if he'll sell it or scan some pages, I've never seen a Sharpes catalogue and would like to.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Beresford wrote:Bob yes, do ask. Ask him if he'll sell it or scan some pages, I've never seen a Sharpes catalogue and would like to.
Done!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Those rings are standard on many of Sharpes spinning and Carp rods of the era, sometimes hard chromed and sometimes satin stainless. They also sometimes come with the name Diamite stamped in them too. Top quality rings which will take a lot of use and abuse..

Wal.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”