MK IV Avon rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Tizer
Chub

MK IV Avon rod

Post by Tizer »

Hello all (again) help please,I saw a rod today and I wrote down as much info as I could,Bob james and sons.10ft.bamboo.mark 1V.AVON G.compound taper.it is darkish brown,has 8 eyes and the bottom eye has a pink liner,it has a lot of intermediate whippings,looks like glass to me ,but what do I know,Any help please .

Barbulus
Tench

Re: MK IV Avon rod

Post by Barbulus »

The G denotes Glass not Bamboo. It sounds like a standard B James Glass Avon. Nice enough.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Barbulus wrote:The G denotes Glass not Bamboo. It sounds like a standard B James Glass Avon. Nice enough.
So pleased you repied,Thanks,I did think that the G could mean glass,maybe I'm not so stupid after all,They are asking £70 in the shop for it,could that be because they think it cane or do you think that is a fair price for glass,Thanks

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

If it's not cracked and the ferrules are OK and overall it's looking good - eyes and such like and is also the correct length - £ 70 is exactly what I sold one for recently. Seems a fair price to me for the G version. You can get them a little less and some folk will want even more but £ 70 is sort of mid range for a good useable no damage G Avon from James. A cane version might be in the £ 180 to £ 250 bracket with some variation. Personally I would buy it if not damaged. Ask if they will take £ 50. No farm asking. You then have a good useable rod with a nice action as well.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have purchased 3 rods in the past they were the BJames in association with Bruce and Walker MKIV G compound taper carp rods two of the rods have the pink lined rings, tip and butt the other has the amber coloured. 2 of the rods had the plastic still on the handle which I removed. I paid £50 for eachof them. Hope this helps
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Barbulus wrote:If it's not cracked and the ferrules are OK and overall it's looking good - eyes and such like and is also the correct length - £ 70 is exactly what I sold one for recently. Seems a fair price to me for the G version. You can get them a little less and some folk will want even more but £ 70 is sort of mid range for a good useable no damage G Avon from James. A cane version might be in the £ 180 to £ 250 bracket with some variation. Personally I would buy it if not damaged. Ask if they will take £ 50. No farm asking. You then have a good useable rod with a nice action as well.
:Thumb: Thanks once again,i love this forum,It is a good looking rod and I felt that they were asking top wack for it. The same shop had a taperflash for £40 and would not take a offer,4 months later I got it for £28(which was still a bit dear I think)But I was over the moon ,you know the feeling when you want something,£70 is way out of my league,Maybe I will wait a few months and get it for £40, it will be a long 4 months.Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. :Thumb:

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Loop Erimder wrote:I have purchased 3 rods in the past they were the BJames in association with Bruce and Walker MKIV G compound taper carp rods two of the rods have the pink lined rings, tip and butt the other has the amber coloured. 2 of the rods had the plastic still on the handle which I removed. I paid £50 for eachof them. Hope this helps
Thankyou so much for reply,it has helped.Happy days

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I sold one for £65. It was very good with the odd surface mark but nothing serious. it had the original bag in good condition. The B&W are nice rods but I prefer the Richard Walker glass rod from Hardy.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

What about my other post about the chubb rod,in the same shop,any help on that one please,

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The Bruce and Walker 'G' rods are excellent, I have a pair of the carp version and a pair of the Avon version. Good, hardworking, durable rods. If it is in good condition it will soon be sold, they are the next generation of traditional rods. :-)

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”