rod rests

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
St.John
Tench

rod rests

Post by St.John »

Well, I'm a stout believer in using what nature provides and when stalking and general mooching looking for fish to chuck a bait at I will often use the schoolboys favorite as a rod rest....
Gentlemen I give you....
the stick!
A nice little tail involving sticks...
I was up early last summer (5 o'clockish) fishing the little bit of wye I bailiff. As i moved from peg to peg I would cut a new rest from all the flood wood on the bank, leaving a Y shaped stick in most of the pegs as i moved on. At around 8 I returned home for breakfast and then went back out. After a few casts and stops I was at the top of the stretch and bumped into a nice chap that fishes this bit pretty often. Anyway, after checking his ticket we got chatting about the wye and the recent spate of poaching. He asked if I had a problem with poaching on my stretch and said he was convinced that we where getting regular visits.
Of course I asked him why he was so sure.
His reply was
'well, there were a lot of sticks in the pegs that had been used as rod rests in the swims this morning and any proper angler would use a rod rest!'
I was in fits of giggles as i explained that I was probably the culprit, to which he turned pink and stuttered something along the lines of.... 'oh....erm..gosh...I didn't mean..I mean... Well..erm..I hope no offence was taken...erm.....!'
I assured him not and went back to one of my sticks and fished.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

J.T
Catfish

Re: rod rests

Post by J.T »

:laugh:

Nice one st.john. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Excellent! :hahaha:
I generally use a regular rod rest but occasionally resort to one of nature's.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

A lovely story

And of course you save on setup time while enhancing the facilities for others.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one st, I am a great believer in sticks. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Nice one St.
I love grass too. I always use a tiny piece of dried grass as a bait stop. Can't be doing with those little plastic things.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

tony1964 wrote:Nice one St.
I love grass too. I always use a tiny piece of dried grass as a bait stop. Can't be doing with those little plastic things.
I use grass as a stop often, tho usually cos I forgot half my kit!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

tony1964 wrote:Nice one St.
I've always used grass when fishing luncheon meat. It is ideal.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

It's strange isn't it that we seem to use grass and other items that nature provides and yet my friends all laugh at me for doing so.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

I have very recently started using grass as bait stops. As I spent most of my baiting hook time rummaging in the grass looking for the little plastic types it seemed the obvious decision! :chuckle:
Last edited by Richard C on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”