Craftversa.

The Milwards Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Craftversa.

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Own up then, who took the Craftversa? I fancied a punt but it was a bit rich for me, knowing that Chapman's would probably need at least a ton, quite possibly more, for a new tip section. That's well over two hundred before you've even stripped the rod. I'm sure it'll make it's new owner happy, mind, as it's rarer than a pile of horse dung with some hen's teeth stuffed in it.

While we're confessing, I'll own up to buying the Chapman Hunter that ended the other day. Not cheap at nearly £150.00 but the chap delivered it to me in person and I've been lucky as it's VERY tidy. In fact, it doesn't need any restoration save for two guides that have some slight tarnishing/rust. I'm tempted to leave them but I'll probably end up changing them anyhow.

MGs
Pike

Re: Craftversa.

Post by MGs »

I posted a link to that Hunter, before we put a moratorium on it. It did look like a nice bit of kit, I may have pipped you to that if I had £150 to spare. Not sure the wife would have been happy. She doesn't know I've bought the Trudex yet.

I'd still like a Craftversa. The problem is that unlike MK IVs et al there are not many of them about. So it certainly wasn't me who nabbed it. Maybe someone will own up shortly.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Like I said before, MGs, I don't think it makes the slightest difference about the links so I wasn't at all worried when I saw it posted. I'm looking forward to some early season tenching with the hunter. It is a damn fine rod.

I was sorely tempted by the Craftversa, as it seems that comets come by more regular. But the money was too much for what was a complete and utter gamble. Poor pictures, confusion over length etc. Added to that the seller seemed to be playing silly games. When I asked him about a BIN, he said he'd been offered over £200, if I cared to match it. Then the next day he said was I interested for £100.00 ?
WTF! No, I'm not!

Glad I bought the Hunter instead.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Somebody played buy it now games we me recently on ebay. I didn't bite as I'd noticed a problem with the rod that didn't make a high price in the end. I watched both the Chapmans and thought the Hunter would go for over £200.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I agree. People will pay what they want pay.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I made extensive enquiries about that Craftversa as some of you know.

It was 6 inches short.

Now Chapmans have just quoted me( who else can make a tip section that long...most can't!) £120 plus carriage( it's a long tip..the PO won't touch it).

That's £257 for a rod that you haven't had a waggle of, roughly...and that's if it doesn't need any work doing :hide: .

Rare or not, that's too rich for my blood.

The Hunter though.........now that I was tempted by.

Having had a waggle of GOS' I think you're going to be very happy Haydn.

I'm surprised that Chapman's don't still make it...it's a lovely, lovely rod.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Nobby wrote:The Hunter though.........now that I was tempted by.

Having had a waggle of GOS' I think you're going to be very happy Haydn.

I'm surprised that Chapman's don't still make it...it's a lovely, lovely rod.

I'm already happy with it. I lucked out really, as ebay purchases are always a lottery, as we all know. The chap delivered it to me in person, all the way from Essex, which added another £25.00 but I don't care. I'd rather have that than the Royal Snail throwing it about. As an added bonus he showed me a few of his other rods, a lovely Chubbs of Edggeware whole cane Avon, an Aspindale's Severndale and a MK IV. All very very nice, and a nice chap he was too. He's not a regular on here or TPBTW but I've sent him the links, so if he's watching, thanks again, Steve.
the Hunter really is a lovely rod: big and strong, nice long handle, good quality fittings (a rather odd sized, though very nice agate butt guide), tight ferruls etc. Definitely a keeper.

I'm not at all surprised at the price Chapmans quoted on the tip section, Nobby. My Swimversa tip was about £75 so I guess for the extra length and work setting up £120 is fair. Like you say though, £257.00 before you've started the project... it's definitely one for the rich, brave or foolhardy.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Haydn , give me a shout regarding the summer on the Nene . You can pic a freebie off me if you are still at work , save the postage .

Paul

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have to own up - I won the Craftversa.
In response to an earlier post about being either rich, brave or foolhardy then I definitely fall into the latter category but am certainly not rich. This was just too good an opportunity to miss and I took the gamble, even if it is effectively only half a rod. I may live to regret it…we'll see.

It's amusing that the seller was playing bidders off against each other but fooled no-one, I too made him an offer early on only to be told that he had just received one. In the end, he did say that he thought it would be fairer to let the auction run. I was actually waiting to hear back from Chapman's with a quote but I don't need to now! £120 seems ok to me.

I was watching the hunter too, nice to hear that your happy with it and that it's a good example.
If you like, I'll let you know how I get on with the craftversa and send some clear pics of it throughout the restoration process? Right, I'm off to sell a mountain of gear to make some money to pay for all this…Best regards.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Good man. I'd love to see some clear pictures of that beauty when it's done. I guess every once in a while you have to extend yourself a little when opportunity arrises. I certainly did with the Hunter, and, by the sound of it, you did with the Versa. I hope it all turns out hunky-dory for you.

P.S Poor old John Chapman must be wondering why all the sudden demand for Craftversa tips.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”