A Set of Traditional Style Rod Rests and Bank Sticks -Part 2

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

A Set of Traditional Style Rod Rests and Bank Sticks -Part 2

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Keeping in step with the theme for this year to replace all modern bits and pieces where possible with vintage, or sympathetic vintage style items, I decided it was time for the bank sticks to get the treatment.

I have 2 sets to contend with. A set of 3 front bank sticks for carp fishing which require screw thread tops and a set of three rear rests. These would be mainly used for carp fishing but not exclusively so. I also require a further single rod rest for general float fishing, which can utilise the carp front rests plus a separate longer stand alone bank stick for those awkward swims.

First job was to make the fitments for the fixed rod rests heads and the screw threaded ends for the multi purpose ones. I decided on a brass and cane construction for all the sticks as this was the most aesthetically pleasing and authentic looking.

The fixed rod rest were machined at an angle suitable to splay the two forks to hold a rod handle, but could also be used for a front rest if desired. Once the centre caps were made these were then drilled and tapped to accommodate the two forks which were to be brass inners with cane outers. Once these were done, the forks were cut from brass bar and threads made for each end, one to locate in the cap, and one to hold a nut to keep them in place. At this stage the Director of Finance, Housing and Discipline came past and her curiosity got the better of her as she enquired what exactly these were, as she thought they looked like little brass Martians. Extremely straight faced I told her they were for making a 3 dimensional, alien chess game, so when the aliens came I could challenge them to a game. As she scurried off to check the life insurance policies for clauses on senile dementure and mental illness I was left in peace to resume.

The second set of sticks were to have a female ferrule, tapped to 3/8 BSF to take any type of alarm or head on the market. At the same time a fourth ferrule was made for a stand alone larger stick.

Once these were completed the canes were cut for the sticks and I started on the fixed head rest first. These were flamed, both ends drilled out, and a parallel piece at the bottom end was produced as I wanted to protect the ends of the sticks by having a metal tube fitted to strengthen them and eliminate wear. I mulled over what sort of tubing to use. Aluminium was cheap especially as I had a few old banksticks which could be used, but I didn’t think they would look correct. I fancied brass tubing but I didn’t have any in, and on checking the price of sufficient tubing for the task I was initially convinced I had looked up “ 24 carat gold” tubing not brass when I saw the price of it. So it was back to the drawing board. I had some 15mm copper piping left over from a DIY plumbing job which I could use but I didn’t want it to look like I had run out of material and thrown a bit of old toilet at the sticks. In the end a compromise was reached, copper tubing was used but in time honoured traditional style some brass intermediates were added so it looked more like part of the design.

Once the tubing was complete the sticks were whipped in red and given a good few coats of varnish.

So the first stage was well under way on the fixed sticks, just a few minor bits to finish then on to the others.

To be continued
Last edited by Northern_Nomad on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: A Set of Traditional Style Rod Rests and Bank Sticks

Post by Santiago »

Very nice Sir! I still have to make mine but I don't think I will make them as good as yours!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Ingenious, the bank stick heads with cane linings are fab!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

They do look nice.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Very nice you are very skilled.
Bumble

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Wow ! I think you have cracked it there. Fantastic. I think those show a real sense of style as well as function. Really nice touches to the thread there as well......excellent craftsmanship there NN. The "alien chess" made me smile as it sounds like the same conversation that happens in this house-hold sometimes !

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: A Set of Traditional Style Rod Rests and Bank Sticks -Pa

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Continuing with the rod rests and bank sticks……….

Part Two

The fixed rod rests were nearly finished so I turned my attention to the 3 smaller bank sticks. These were done in much the same way as the three previous sticks with a parallel section produced at the end of the cane. The cane was also flamed and any excessive kinks removed although a certain amount was retained as they are made of natural cane so it was fine to reflect that, and not be perfectly millimetre straight. As per the fixed head rests, copper tubing was used to protect the ends and this also had decorative intermediate brass bands along its length, although slightly less as the sticks were shorter to accommodate the extra height of any alarm fitted and also to produce a lower front to rear ratio for pointing the tips down towards the water.

The head ferrules were fitted and decorative whipping was done in the same pattern as previously and varnish was applied.

Once these were completed I set my sights on the single, longer, stand alone float fishing rest. This followed exactly the same pattern as the other three. The ferrule had been made at the same time as the other three, the tubing was fitted exactly the same although slightly longer due to its length, decorative whipping and varnishing followed. The only difference here was this was going to have an articulated rod rest head to allow it to be angled and also let the line travel freely through it. It could also be used with one of the smaller sticks as well. The screw head part was turned, two holes drilled and tapped into the top and two pieces of 4mm brass bar were fashioned into a period style head, with a free hinge at the centre to allow line to pass through. For some strange reason I had misplaced the 3/8 BSF die so at this stage I still needed to put the thread onto it. (Still can’t find it at the time of writing this so I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. A decent HSS BSF die is a bit of expensive kit for a small object)

It was now time to finish all the little jobs off. The fixed head sticks still needed to have the caps made. As an interim fix I had fitted some small nuts to them to keep the cane inserts in place as I misplaced the first two and couldn’t find them (a common theme playing out here you may suspect). It’s easy to get lazy towards the end of a project and think that something that isn’t quite right will be OK, as I did with the nuts. However I mentally kicked my backside and six “acorn” caps were produced to finish off the fixed heads which did look a lot better.

So that was about it and here is the set. Just waiting for the die to arrive to put the thread on the articulated head.

Thanks for looking.

Rgds

Neil
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Great job mate, :clap:
If you make any more of the shaped brass pipe heads,could you flog me one?im making a stick at the moment and looking for a top for it.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Neil

They really are a very special set of rests and bank sticks....really superb. The brass "acorns" are really worthwhile and add a final touch. Very professional and stylish too ! The articulated wire rod rest head for the float rod is a great "nod" toward the 50's and Walker and BB et al. A nice addition to the rod rest. A very craftsmanslike piece of work to produce some stunning tackle. It will go very well with the Walker net and rods......great job Neil. Look forward to seeing them in use on the banks....

Regards

Matthew

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Tremendous work, very well done!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”