500 de-luxe

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

500 de-luxe

Post by Marc »

I'm not sure how well I've done; put it this way if the wife finds out, not very well. :Hide:

I placed a maiden bid on this 500 de-luxe for £75 and was hoping to be sniped by one of you lot. I felt sure this would go over the ton. Anyway it didn't. Described as being in excellent condition and with the proper bag. Better pictures when it arrives.

I've read some of the threads describing them, what are the like then? They're described as an avon rod so presumably it will be good for barbel, chub plus small carp and tench?

:Hat:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: 500 de-luxe

Post by Rutland Rod »

I reckon you have got a excellent rod at a good price, I've only had a standard '500' and it handled chub up to 5lb no problem, plus could cast a light ledger a fair distance if required, I'm presuming the 'de luxe' has the seperate butt as the '500' its a big plus.

Tight lines
Dave

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Rutland Rod wrote:I reckon you have got a excellent rod at a good price, I've only had a standard '500' and it handled chub up to 5lb no problem, plus could cast a light ledger a fair distance if required, I'm presuming the 'de luxe' has the seperate butt as the '500' its a big plus.

Tight lines
Dave
According to the Chapmans website:-

Chapman 500 De-Luxe supplied in same format as the above rod but having Aqualite butt and end ring with chrome intermediates, and divisional cloth bag..

We'll see...
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

A little light for a barbel rod, although I've had them to nearly 11lb on mine. A good chub and tench rod though. I really enjoy using mine.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Looking at the pictures again PoD it looks like it's had a refurb at some point. Those whippings on either side of the logo aren't usual for Chapman.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

You maybe correct Sean. It says on the chapmans website that they are whipped in wine and that doesn't look nearly fine enough. If it's usable I'll use it this season then maybe return it to its original look.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have just had a look at an old rough 500 De luxe which I have not touched yet and it has those double bands of whipping either side of the name and model, just like your picture. Mine has a lined butt and tip ring but the butt ring looks to be a smaller bore than you would find on the unlined butt ring of the standard 500 model.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Still a snip at £75 I reckon.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Absolute bargain Marc, I love these rods and have paid more than that for rods needing a full rebuild.
It looks original to me, the whipping on Chapmans rods was never fine and fancy nor was the original varnish finish much to be admired but the cane is superb quality and has stood the test of time as well as any of the high end rods of the era..

As others have said its a great Chub or Tench rod yet still has a light enough action in the tip to give pleasure from small silvers too.
I think you will find it becomes the first rod out of the bag at most fishing situations..

Wal.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It is a lovely basic avon rod but as others have said only for smaller barbel (also carp to low doubles). For tench, chub, perch it is a great rod.
Ryan Burns has just refurbed mine for the price you paid for it so I'd say you got a bargain.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”