Izaak Walton Der vollkommene Angler

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Paddex

Izaak Walton Der vollkommene Angler

Post by Paddex »

Izaak Waltons The Compleat Angler is a rather well known angling book, however there were only three translations into the german language,
one by the (then) east-german publisher Gustav Kiepenheuer Verlag, Weimar in 1958 and one by the west-german publisher Paul Parey from 1964,
both not complete, not overwhelming, if not downright bad.
The third is the earliest and legendary translation by J. Schumacher from 1859 and it certainly was the most famous because nobody knew it,
as the whole edition was, neatly stacked in one pile, lost in a fire in the publishing house shortly after the printing.
Surprisingly in 1998 a single copy was found and apparently some books survived the fire right in the middle of the stack and were saved by some workers.
This morning I found a reprint of the book in my letterbox

Schumacher translated the Walton edition by Ephemera (Edward Fitzgibbon) of the same year (1859) published by Routledge, Warnes, and Routledge.

https://archive.org/details/cottonangler00waltrich

This is a very atmospheric translation of Walton's text and Ephemera's annotations (however with some strange wording: e.g. the roach became a Rochen - ray).
So for the first time after 338 years after the 5th edition was printed, and 154 years after the translation, german speaking readers have the opportunity
to peruse this famous book in an adequate translation. This reprint covers only the first part by Walton, the second part by Cotton will follow.

And maybe there are more copies around than first estimated, I'll have a word with my bank and "ab in den Warenkorb"

Scott
Tench

Re: Izaak Walton Der vollkommene Angler

Post by Scott »

Fascinating stuff Paddex, thanks for sharing.....

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”