Eagle Pond Wanstead

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Eagle Pond Wanstead

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

i spent most of my teenage years in the late 60s and early 70s sat on the pavement.

When last down in london I stopped and found "no fishing " signs.

What happened and what happened to my (!) carp?

Ian McD

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Re: Eagle Pond Wanstead

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Not sure where you mean, Im abit further in over in Hackney.

However I do know the lakes in Wanstead park, never fished there though. City of London corperation fishing( free) is allowed on the ornamental gardens lake and perch pond, and I have seen anglers on both , in summer and a solitary pike angler last december.

Any of you have any stories of these two lakes

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

OK Hermes I know where you mean now. Over the other side of this green space is whipps cross hospital and before you come to that there is " Hollow pond" any experience of this water?

Or Canaught water...or Warren pond over at Chingford?

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

hermes wrote:Hi John, if you turn off the Green Man roundabout at Leytonstone, head down the road through the lights at Snaresbrook and turn left at the next set of lights, then then lake is on the left. Its sort of behind Snaresbrook Crown court. Been there a few times but only walking etc, same with the ornamental ponds.
have been doing some "digging" elsewhere on the net and it would seem that a combination of complaints by the residents across the road and pressure from the Swan Rescue meant that things moved from no night fishing to no fishing at all. Carp were mainly netted and moved to Highams Park (home of wild parrots when I was a kid)

that "never go back" statement is true- although i suspect that the general madness around during night fishing which caused no concern at the time would frighten me to death now!

BobH

Post by BobH »

I fished all the Forest Ponds, including the Hollows, Eagle and Connaught Waters from the late 50s to the early 80s.

My Mrs does not like the bit of road that passes the Rising Sun Pond (don't ask), so she drives past the Eagle Pond every time we go to Whipps Cross Hospital.

It looks the same but I'm sure the Carp were all moved out years ago, as they were from many of the forest ponds to stop trouble at night ?

There a bit about the Eagle Pond in Derek Strittons book- Too Many Rods.

Bob

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

BobH wrote:I fished all the Forest Ponds, including the Hollows, Eagle and Connaught Waters from the late 50s to the early 80s.

My Mrs does not like the bit of road that passes the Rising Sun Pond (don't ask), so she drives past the Eagle Pond every time we go to Whipps Cross Hospital.

It looks the same but I'm sure the Carp were all moved out years ago, as they were from many of the forest ponds to stop trouble at night ?

There a bit about the Eagle Pond in Derek Strittons book- Too Many Rods.

Bob
Bob Fasinating stuff....What can you tell us about Hollow Pond or Canught , I have never fished but seen these waters many times...Any nice stories Bob?

BobH

Post by BobH »

We use to call it the Rising Sun Pond :cool:

I think I fished all the Forst ponds, from Butlers Retreat, The Bomb Hole near the Wake Arms, to just about every other Dew Pond in the forest.

I tried to do a night with my mate Paul Pascoe at the Lost Pond when we were 12/13 respectively, but we bottled it !

Last Summer I crept down to Knighton Woods and caught a couple of Brown Goldfish and a Tench.

There are lots of Ponds that have No Fishing signs on them now ?

The Hollows and Connaught had the Carp removed a few years ago, because it was claimed there were muggings of Anglers on these waters.

I use to fish both these waters years ago for Tench and Carp, but Connaught threw up some Huge Eels in the 80/90s.

I did fish the warren for a few hours last summer and caught a 2lb Common, but it's not the same ?

They say you should never go back.

Bob

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I fished Eagle Pond a couple of times back in the late 70's, dont remember catching much just the usual small roach and perch.

Me and my mates used to mainly fish Rapheals Park in Romford, Connaught Waters, Higham's Park, Hollow Ponds, and the River Lea at Cooks Ferry back then. We night fished Connaught and Highams a few times and had a great opening night at Highams in about 79 when two lads were wheeling a barrow full of booze around that they'd nicked from a local offies storage shed, giving out cans at every swim. I wouldn't condone it now of course, but great fun then.

I'm targeting the Epping Forest Ponds this year again for Tench and Crucian, I like them they are quiet quite, free and the sit well with my semi-trad view of my fishing. I'll be fishing Lost Pond on 17 June, never fished it before, stating on Baldwins after Tench on the 16th.

Gaz

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Hermes,

Goldings hill is on the list for July, I fished Earl's Path a few times last year, small pond but nice had loads of Crucians to about 12oz and a lot of small tench. Strawberry Hill is in the woods along from Earls path, I had a little dabble last year and had 6 nice little Crucians until a Ranger came and chucked me off, its no fishing unfortunately. The one by the road you mention sonds like Wake Valley. A mate and i went there a couple of season ago but could find a decent swim.

I've fishTheydon Bois and its on the list for taking the kids in the summer, good pub just over the road too.

I'm on at retro venue kick so these waters should keep me amused, ive never really minded what i catch just enjoy the day.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Gaz...

Blooming eck..... Epping forrest so close to me too .On another thread I asked where is this Baldwins lake ? But Its good to see another angler on the same track quite local :hat:

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”