Reflections From The Waters Edge John Bailey

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Old Nell

Reflections From The Waters Edge John Bailey

Post by Old Nell »

Just read the post on Deepening Pool and was prompted to mention the above book. I'm halfway through this book for the 4th/5th time and to me, its the only books that's up there with Yatesy's finest. The other 2 being Secret Carp and How To Fish. Bailey really paints with words in this one. Anybody else on here read it ? Like
Deepening Pool, it doesn't fetch the money many lesser books make.
If you haven't read it I cannot recommend it enough. Even if just for the tale of monster harbour eels in the Med on a Chapman 500. That must whet your appetites gents. Just my personal opinion.
Regards Mark

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Reflections From The Waters Edge John Bailey

Post by Dave Burr »

Bailey's early books were very good, Invisible Waters is my favourite mainly because there's so much about the Wye in it. But I do feel he sold out and went down the line of mass production rather than quality after hose first few. But I agree, Reflections is a very good read.

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

I totally agree Dave. Most of his early stuff is excellent and quality did tail off later. Travels With a Two Piece is a nice read also, even though I've never flung a fly. Gonna dig out Invisible Waters now. Thanks for the reminder. Chub and Dace also has a fair bit on the Wye, if you didn't already know Dave.
Regards Mark

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This is really interesting to see people's views because if you speak to John about this (and I have many times) he would agree with the sentiments here. Obviously 'sold out' might be a bit harsh because the reality is a simple matter of economics and making a living.

When John wrote those early books (a bit like a musician really) he had a store of great experiences, stories and imagination to draw upon. He was also working as a teacher, with a steady income, and without any/many of the responsibilities that often fall upon people of that age, like having a family.

I adore Travels with a Two Piece, Invisible Waters and Reflections from the Waters Edge. Over the years I have been lucky enough to fish some of those places, there is genuine mystery to many of them and John's style of writing then undoubtedly adds a deeper element. It was also an extraordinary time when, in the seventies and early eighties Norfolk there were hidden, magical, unknown waters where massive record-shaking roach, dace, rudd, carp, pike etc were there for the intelligent determined angler with the right approach.

Roach, the Gentle Giants is a seminal piece of work when you think that it captured the decade (and a bit) for that species. Those massive Wensum roach, in those dark deep and all but unfished reaches, were a moment in time, a combination of circumstances, that come very rarely. I can only think of a handful of places and times that can compare with that.

But John took the decision to leave teaching and to try and make a living out of fishing through writing, photography, travel, endorsement, filming and guiding. Inevitably that drives a different output and this is why it appears that he 'sold out' in some people's eyes and I can understand how that conclusion can be reached. But like pretty much all but the most lucky in life, John has to pay the bills and keep the car on the road. I have spent a fair bit of time with John, as a mate, and it isn't an easy an life at all; funding gets pulled, endless meetings and pitches, customers with sometimes unrealistic expectations, the rain!, and nothing but nothing guaranteed*. And he's got a bit of a marmite reputation at times I suspect!

*same as most of us I guess!

However, can I just say this before I finish. Through his guiding and expeditions abroad over the last two decades he has brought countless fishing mates together, opened opportunities that many people couldn't even have dreamed of before and actually changed people's lives. I know that for a fact. I met my best mate through John introducing us and together we have now fished in places and had experiences that make me weep I have been so lucky, when I am feeling sentimental. And we are not the only one's, I know there are quite a few of us and John does have a very unique skill in bringing people together like that.

So, don't judge his later books too harshly is my suggestion. Many of the instruction books are very good with some great photos - my boys love them. But some, as John would admit himself, were delivered to meet a deadline in some difficult circumstances.

My boys also adore Mr Crabtree and I think that is a pretty good measure too.

For the reader that likes those early books I would suggest that you try Trout at Ten Thousand Feet (it's not a book about just trout!) because that is one that he was actually able to write from the heart and not for any other reason. I think its great. But also In Wild Waters because much/some of that was captured and happened before the need to meet deadlines really took hold!

I hope that is interesting!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

In Visible Waters and Travels with a Two-Piece were among the most inspirational fishing books I read in my teens. (I have a particular fondness for IVW because of the special person who gave me my copy and who I lost touch with sadly, but that’s another story). I haven’t heard of Reflections from the Water’s edge or In Wild Waters, but I will now check those out. So thanks for mentioning those. A big thumbs up for Trout at Ten Thousand feet. Great stuff, and I am currently re-reading that one. Tengisgol, you make a good point about the ‘selling out’/’making a living’. John Bailey does seem to provoke a bit of a ‘marmite’ reaction as you say. All I can say is that his work helped encourage me as a young angler and helped influence my outlook on angling so he will always have my gratitude and respect.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

I sincerely hope my saying that the later books quality "tailed off" was not seen as any sort of put down of Mr Bailey.I completely understand that he has to make a living. To be honest Tengisgol I envy you as John was probably the biggest inspiration and influence on my formative fishing years. I also fished a lot of the same waters, mainly the Wensum and Yare as a direct result of his works, and loved my time there. I can only echo what Greg has said and that John Bailey will always be a true angling hero to me. Sounds like I better grab a copy of trout at 10000 feet as well.
Best regards Mark

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Old Nell wrote:I sincerely hope my saying that the later books quality "tailed off" was not seen as any sort of put down of Mr Bailey.I completely understand that he has to make a living. Best regards Mark
Hello. Mark, absolutely no problem and I am sure John would be the first to agree with you in many respects. It was/is a massive frustration, as I understand it, that the likes of WH Smith and Waterstones etc. only wanted 'how to do it' books* Yes, thoroughly recommend Trout at Ten Thousand Feet and I am pretty sure you could locate a copy for a couple of quid.

I would love to hear any tales of the Wensum - I still spend a lot of time there (too much in some respects, based on results!) Incidentally, I grew up in Romford so it is interesting to see you are in Dagenham. I fished many of your local waters when I was a kid like Tom Thumb, The Chase and Bretons Farm! I wonder if we ever bumped into each other?

*Edit - makes you realise doesn't it how lucky we are to have people like LEP, Medlar, Coch Y Bonddu and Fishing Booksender etc publishing such wonderful fishing books despite the non-interest of the high street.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

My mistake, I was thinking about In Wild Waters when I previously commented. I stand by my other comments

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I met John Bailey once. He was blagging free rods and reels from the Hardy factory in Alnwick.

His angling writing books were much better than the mass market instructional books that I presume were more publishing house than him; that being said I read most of them in the early 00's and at the time enjoyed them.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Hi Tengisgol
I've got a few Wensum tales if you would like me to bore you with them. Not sure wether to P.M you before going into too much detail. As for my local waters, I'm afraid they never really have been. I've always tried to fish places with a bit more mystery and history . I'm sure you know how busy and messy it can be round these parts and it's nice to escape that. I did fish Tom Thumb a few times though so we could have met at some time. Where are you based now. Still in Essex? I'd love to still fish the Wensum ,but just a bit too far for me these days. I loved driving up on a Friday eve ,fishing my heart out till Sunday night , then driving back home .I used to fish the N.A.C.A waters back in the early 90s, as well as others.
I haven't fully investigated lately, but I believe the fishing is more restricted ,venue wise, than it was back then. Most of the lovely old mills were "developed" if I'm correct. Crying shame.
Got a feeling you must have a few great tales to tell yourself by the way . Love to hear them.
Best regards Mark

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”