Simple leger indicator

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Necarper

Simple leger indicator

Post by Necarper »

Many fish here aren't attracted by bread so feeders are out, instead I use worm on a simple free running rig using a bomb and look for bites using a lift indicator at the butt end. This is one idea I pinched off an old angler back in Bolton. Just a wine cork - drilled at one end to allow a small nut (to give some weight but not too much) to be inserted and then epoxied in along with a screw eye to enable it to be tethered to a bank stick. The other end is just a hair clip pushed in to enable it to clip on to the line but pull off easy. I paint mine just for fun but the old guy just used a plain cork.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Re: Simple leger indicator

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Necarper wrote:Many fish here aren't attracted by bread so feeders are out, instead I use worm on a simple free running rig using a bomb and look for bites using a lift indicator at the butt end. This is one idea I pinched off an old angler back in Bolton. Just a wine cork - drilled at one end to allow a small nut (to give some weight but not too much) to be inserted and then epoxied in along with a screw eye to enable it to be tethered to a bank stick. The other end is just a hair clip pushed in to enable it to clip on to the line but pull off easy. I paint mine just for fun but the old guy just used a plain cork.
I may have to use that idea. Just remember when you see everyone with them: "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

I'm sure they are much better than the monkey climbers I have. They are cheap and nasty and came free with my cheap but okay pod - not traditional, but great when fishing off a wooden landing stages and the water in front is too deep for sticks!

Whats great about this design is you will be able to vary the weight by adding or taking away shot on the line from the bobbin to the bank stick / pod according to species and weather conditions.

Excellent. :clap:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Brilliant! Best, Bobby

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nice one Necarper - I used to make bobbins just like that although could not afford the gold hair grips :Hahaha:

I did 'improve' on the design though. I found that the hair grip was likely to (and did) pinch or catch the line as it has squared edges which can cost you fish. I replaced the hair grip with a couple of round ended map pins and found that if one was bent slightly you could rotate it to adjust the tension on the line. A screw ring for hanging up net curtains at the other end and a length of cord attaching it to your bankstick and away you go.

I was digging around looking for my old ones just the other day but I think they fell foul to the last clear out :Hide:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

That brings back memories ,we use to use hair grips pushed though the cork leaving the loop exsposed with a mono line tether and we use to add weights on the mono if needed. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Dave Burr wrote:

I did 'improve' on the design though. I found that the hair grip was likely to (and did) pinch or catch the line as it has squared edges which can cost you fish. I replaced the hair grip with a couple of round ended map pins and found that if one was bent slightly you could rotate it to adjust the tension on the line.
Good idea Dave. I might nick that too. :Wink:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

With apologies for the poor image quality, this is my lightweight bobbin.

It is made from a balsa float body lined with rig tube, through which is passed some heavy nylon line (I've used 40lb fluo yellow sea line). The top end loop is left 'open' as shown so that it can be put over the line and then tucked down into the tube. This is very free running and the nylon always pulls out of the tube in the strike. The bottom end loop is fixed in as a loop by a short plug of dowel, and a length of fine cord attached to secure it to the bankstick. Shot can be pinched on the cord if you need to add weight to counteract drift or wind.

Simple to make, very light and free running :Happy:

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

My version. I just need a ring on the bottom now. :Sun:

"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That's just as I described MD, mind you I never did the fancy paintwork, one coat of orange was all mine got :)

Carry some SSG's or plasticine to weight them (on the cord) to overcome drift or current and they'll do just fine.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Yeah, I thought there was less chance of damaging the line your way, Dave.

I'm of back to Cheshire for a few days tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get the chance to test them out.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”