Is this an early article by Chris' Redmire' Yates?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Pyrethrum5
Dace

Is this an early article by Chris' Redmire' Yates?

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Hi,

I came across a two page article entitled 'Upper Waveney Roach' by a certain 'Chris Yates' (Angling incorporating Creel; November 1967 p6-7). The author describes chasing possible record shaking roach in the weeded stretches of the Suffolk River. Hopefully you can read the article yourselves in the attached images. There are two B&W photos of the author which are only side or rear head shots of the angler. Does anybody know whether this article and images are attributable to Chris Yates of Redmire fame? Does the age and location add up??

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Mark

I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Is this an early article by Chris' Redmire' Yates?

Post by Mark »

I turned the picture round for you Mark.

I heard him say somewhere that his first article was on roach.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

For those of you who have 'The Deepening Pool' turn to page 53 and you will indeed see the photo is almost identical to the one above, but taken from a different angle.
So I would say without a doubt it is THE Chris Yates

CY would be 19 years old when the article was published, so possibly 18 in the photos.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Fantastic Julian - thanks for posting your reply. I've just been and checked my copy of 'The Deepening Pool and you're spot on. Its the same rod and reel combination I notice. So yes. I agree it's got to be CY!

:cheers:

Interesting isn't it? He was young when he wrote this article. How many 18-17 year olds are getting articles published in the angling press today??

Regards,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Another case solved by the TFF detectives. Well done Julian :Thumb: Not seen that article before.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The hands are quite distinctive. That is certainly CY.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

A lovely find - but a little concerning that he saw monster roach in a river, then monster roach in Redmire...
I believe in the Redmire monsters, as it happens; but Yates is clearly someone who needs to find monsters to be enchanted..

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I went along with Snape and picked out the hands - a definite match dear Watson.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

FarliesBirthday wrote:A lovely find - but a little concerning that he saw monster roach in a river, then monster roach in Redmire...
I believe in the Redmire monsters, as it happens; but Yates is clearly someone who needs to find monsters to be enchanted..

Don't think he saw any monster roach in Redmire FB :shocked: :Chuckle: :Wink:
He did have another angler witness one of his Redmire monsters - the mirror carp he called the Castle - I can't remember the other angler's name but they both watched the 'Castle' from up a tree together for quite some time.

He did also see and try to catch a monster chub in a river - I believe it was the River Mole.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

What a lovely little article, such simple prose yet I was there with him. I think if I'd found a shoal of monster roach I wouldnt be sharing its location with the world, that said thanks for sharing the article....

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”