Aspindales how many bits make a rod?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Kenkroy

Re: Aspindales how many bits make a rod?

Post by Kenkroy »

Well into the unknown tonight
This is how the top section looked before I completely split it.The fine ends was tricky.
I then carefully run a blade down the section with a careful twist they came apart,quick scape off then ready for the Cascamite
I pinned it to the rod support so I could brush the glue on,very difficult at the ends
Then lots of glue (on everything) and then carefully starting at the bottom I put the sections together working to the top.
I then started at the thick end and wrapped string tightly along the section,making sure the sections did not twist.
Then finally I ran some cotton thread up and down to keep it nice and tight.Checked it all lines up and is reasonably straight.
Then quick tweak to straighten and onto a radiator at 24 deg for the night.
I might have a problem getting the string off as it was nearly impossible to control how much glue was put on the end bits,but I gave it a wipe with a damp cloth as I progressed and we will see when I strip it in a day or so.
Ken

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Looks good. I notice you only stringed it in one direction..they say you should do two to preveent twist, but if it hasn't twisted it doesn't matter.

You should find the string comes away quite easily, but it pays to be very careful at the tip and support the cane either side of the string with a curled finger. If you have to prize it off a flat at a time so what? ( but you won't).

Now, when all this is done and dusted I hope you'll find the time to tell us more about the 'mousetraps' ....I've found a source of the wooden ones you liked the look of ;-)

I remembered they were called Little Nippers and hey-presto....an electronics shop...of course!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/little-nipper-m ... 2&t=module

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

A braver man than me Ken, good luck
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Wow, what fantastic photos, thankyou for sharing them.
Are those mousetraps ? Like the look of that for doing whippings, is it something you designed yourself.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Ill post some details of the mouse traps on the Rod building section when I get a minute.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Look forward to it.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Here, my friends, for those of you who spend more time in the workshop than on the riverbank, is the answer to all your dreams.

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/contraptions.html

In the context of this thread may I suggest you click on "rod wrappers" and then salivate (or worse) over Marcelo Calviello's fusion of craft, art and sublime beauty.

Enjoy.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Hammer to crack a nut? I've never used anything other than my fingers
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Fingers crossed I think I have a result.
I applied Cascamite liberally with a small brush and then placed the sections carefully back together and wrapped them firstly with string then in the opposite direction with thread (much easier) Image
And after leaving it for a couple of days in a warm room its all held together.
The Middle section was a lot easier as its bigger sections so again plenty of glue this time up and down with thread three times then a wipe over with a damp cloth,this produced a even straightish section better than my first attempt.The lower section has now been cleaned up and is ready for a tweak over a candle.
The thread applied using my rod wrapper was very easy to apply and because the thread is under tension pulls it all together forcing glue outwards as I went.
For a first attempt I am well pleased and a big thank you to all on this forum who have helped me by sharing their experiences and knowledge.
Thanks lads.
Ken

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It's looking good Ken. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”