A Creel of Willow, W H Canaway

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Scott
Tench

A Creel of Willow, W H Canaway

Post by Scott »

I've just finished this book (I picked up a first edition for£8 in Sedburgh) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Without wanting to give too much away the book plods along nicely telling the tale of how the author rented a stretch of trout river and details the people he meets along the river and of his fishing adventures. 3 quarters of the way through a mysterious secret lake comes into the story, delicious stuff indeed. Chub anglers maybe offended by his distain for these creatures but I guess that was a sign of those times. The river featured in the book is the Staffordshire Blithe, a river I would love to pay homage to one day but my research into obtaining a ticket has so far drawn a blank, can any members help with this? Also, Canaway wrote another fishing book, A Snowden Stream, have any members read this?

Anyway, I can highly recommend this book, great cover to the first edition too.

Mr Canaway, I salute you!

McFairy

Re: A Creel of Willow, W H Canaway

Post by McFairy »

I do have a copy in my collection.

Much more of a how to book than a creel of willow, could also be of interest to BB collectors as it is illustrated by him.

The inside rear cover also contains an advert for the companion volume Wood Pool by BB, sadly that one is proving much harder to find in its original 1st edition.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Wow McFairy, that book looks great, I did an internet search and that book is rather expensive. Thanks for your reply :Hat:

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

A very good read Scott, its certainly different to most fishing books, its well written and the characters are well drawn and I can see bits of them in my own angling mates & friends and myself ! tight lines
Dave

McFairy

Post by McFairy »

Scott wrote:Wow McFairy, that book looks great, I did an internet search and that book is rather expensive. Thanks for your reply :Hat:
Thanks Scott

It is in good condition for its age. Like your copy of a creel of willow I found it whilst hunting around a second hand book shop. A bargain at £15 I think, much more fun to search for finds like this in shops or boot sales.

I know I could fill the gaps in my collection quite easily if I just threw money at Abe books or the like but where would the fun be in that.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”