"What was your first carp...?"

This forum is for discussing carp.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: "What was your first carp...?"

Post by Loop Erimder »

As mentioned somewhere else i hooked my first carp at Lakeside when i was probably about 12 or 13, I had visions of it being about the size of a labrador, obviously nowhere near that size more likely no bigger than 5lb, however, i lost it and was thinking about it for weeks, must of been a year later or so when i managed to bank one but only a tiddler of less than 3lb
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hooked my first carp at 'The Railway Pond' in York when I was about 14 on a flimsy 9' solid fibre glass kiddies float rod. At the time we did not even know there were carp in the pond. I was float fishing for tench about 2-3' out next to a reed bed in about 4' of water with corn on the hook. Whilst chatting to a friend the float slipped under and I struck, the rod bent double and I saw the bronze flank of a carp of about 3-4lb. Think the fish saw me and took off to snap my line! Silly me had not set the clutch. Moreover, I had never been instructed or told the reel had a clutch or what the function was; it was the first big fish I had ever hooked that would have required a clutch! At the time there were several other kids fishing around the pond and all rushed over when they saw the bend in my rod, only to stop their running when they saw my line snap. And when I told them it was a carp none of them believed me!

The 'Railway Pond' was a great little brick pond, very deep in the middle, some 20', with some place around the edges within a foot of the bank going down to 10'. Caught some lovely chub there up to nearly 6lb., and many small wild carp to 5lb.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Moving Shadow

Post by Moving Shadow »

That reminds me of the time I ever saw a carp, or what it could do, Bigfish. Like you, I was out with a bunch of lads and one had one of those 'Winfield Specials', a white solid glass six footer. Just the job! Anyways, we were all arsing about around closing time having had a few rudd, when the rod started down the bank and into the water! The lad grabbed it and made the most elaborate, but terrified strike I ever saw, the fish exploded in anger, and simply smashed the swim to foam. All standing slack jawed, but I think we all made a move up that day. Fishing was never the same again. After that time we were quiet, and deadly serious. In fear of carp!

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”