Elasticane Arun

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Elasticane Arun

Post by The Old Buffer »

I am something of an admirer of the Modern Arms Company rods and am always on the lookout for a good buy. Recently whilst perusing the Bay of E I saw this:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121228605725? ... 1439.l2649

Now I cannot claim any great knowledge of ocean boat rods but even I could see that no one would be casting into the sea using this bit of kit. I suspected that the rod was in fact a 10' Arun and I grasped the nettle and purchased it. The rod came in the post this morning and I was not disappointed.

It is indeed a 10' Arun, arrow strait with perfect ferrules and rings. It is indeed a lovely bit of kit. The only downside (not that bad really) is that a previous owner has re whipped the rod, making a good job of it but sadly not sealing or varnishing the finished whippings. This has resulted in them unwinding at the ferrules. I think I will strip the rod right down in the new year and do a complete re whip and varnish job. It is presently done in black and red rather than the black/gold thread that is common to Elasticane. I am open to suggestions as to which colour of colours to use. I see that other examples of this rod on the forum are decked out in red and black so perhaps this is correct for the Arun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Nailbourne

Re: Elasticane Arun

Post by Nailbourne »

I missed that one, OB - didn't go beyond the description! Not a bad price, though. I picked a Marco 'Medway' a few weeks ago, and this was whipped in green. Price the same as yours.

Am awaiting the delivery of a Marco 'Exe' 8' pike/spinning rod - also from E-bay - cost £25 inc. p&p. Not listed on the Modern Arms section here, though. Has nasty porcelain rings, and could probably do with a re-furb.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I have a test and a Capella la Luce (often described as a pike rod though I use mine for carp) as well as the arun but am still on the lookout for their standard carp. What is you oppinion on whipping colours?
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

I honestly don't know. Although my Medway had been re-ringed, the tyings around the decals looked original - green - so I re-did them all in the same colour.

Their are plenty of pics of Aruns in the Modern Arms section - best look at those.

Lots of Elasticane rods on E-bay at the mo. - from 'junk-in-the-shed' - at silly prices!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Buffer,
I've had a few MARCO rods through my hands over the years and have to say I have never had a bad one. Restorations have always been easy and straightforward. They are very well made rods which are well worth looking out for.
They do suffer from rusty rings like most rods of the era which always makes me wonder why they never used the chrome on brass versions, perhaps they were simply cutting costs or probably never expected the rods to be around long enough for it to be a problem. The steel ones are a little lighter and less prone to bending so maybe that was the reason.

I used a 8ft Capella De-Luxe for carp stalking for a few years until a friend of mine took it off me. It was a great rod, you really could bully them big carp away from lilies and snags.

That Arun looks to have lost 6 inches from the tip, I wonder if it has been cut down on purpose to make a carp rod. They are certainly strong enough.

Whipping colour is usually gold/ black fleck but they are quite dark cane and I think a light green would look very nice.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I agree Wal, they are far better than their 'collectability' might suggest. I too have never found a bad one, even the tatty ones all turn out to have good, sound cane. So far I've yet to come across one with a set either, though that's surely just good luck?

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Yes. Fine robust and very usable rods. Lets not big them up too much though until I get their Standard Carp at, hopefully, a reasonable price.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The Old Buffer wrote:Yes. Fine robust and very usable rods. Lets not big them up too much though until I get their Standard Carp at, hopefully, a reasonable price.
:Hahaha: too late now mate, we will all be bidding against each other.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”