Classic Angling Reads for Christmas

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
WoodBurnerMatt
Rudd

Classic Angling Reads for Christmas

Post by WoodBurnerMatt »

Good afternoon all,

I am looking to build a (very) small library of classic angling literature (both vintage and modern). I prefer writing on fishing rather than "how to" manuals but I am open minded. I thought I may get one or two to read in front of the log burner at Christmas to get me started. Has anyone got any recommendations or anything for sale ( I am a poor House Husband of three children so I have a very limited budget)! :Cry:

Thank you all in advance
Woodburnermatt

Julian
Salmon

Re: Classic Angling Reads for Christmas

Post by Julian »

Depending how limited your budget is, providing you don't mind what condition or what edition the books are, then Abebooks have a huge selection.
For example if you search for a typical classic angling book by the likes of Dick Walker, Fred J Taylor, Chris Yates or BB you will probably find the cheapest copies are around £5 each. ( you can sort the results by 'cheapest first').

In fact if a very cheap price was my criteria I would always look on Abebooks for any book that was recommended - they have so many books.

eg the cheapest copy they currently have of The Secret Carp by Chris Yates is around £8 - and that would be a superb book to have if you have not read it.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

no need to lie is reall classic or if you after to books which are modern but great are while my float still cocks and watercolours by Maurice pledger you wont be dissepointed

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Woodburner, here are a few reads which I think you will enjoy, if you put in the title/ author on sites like ABE books it will give you varied editions/condition for very reasonable prices, so my pick for xmas reading, 'Fishermans Almenac' by Gavin Brown 'Fisherman Fowler' by Alan Savoury, A Clearwater Stream' by Henry Williamson and 'Where the bright waters meet' by H Plunkett Green, all different in many ways but evoking largely fishing and the english countryside as it was (and still is in many ways)

Tight lines Dave

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

JW martin barbel & chub from Medlar press

another option is to buy an e-reader like the kindle, nook etc and then download the many free e-books :Thumb:

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

try oxfam shops and other such shops......look for older books and anthoogies

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Any preferences for coarse, fly, sea, big game etc or something more general?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Especially as it's coming up to Christmas ... when curling up with a good book on a chill winter evening is even more of a joy than usual ... perhaps a couple of slightly tangential suggestions wouldn't go amiss.

Both these books can be had a ridiculous prices on sites like Abe Books ... and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

"Eric Morecambe on Fishing" (Pelham Books. 1984.) is self explanatory. With a foreward by Ernie Wise (of course) and wonderful illustrations by David Hughes, it raised some smiles throughout.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... ng&x=0&y=0

""A Plank Bridge by a Pool" is by Norman Thelwell (Eyre Methuen. 1978), the famous cartoonist, and is the story of how he landscaped the garden of his Hampshire cottage, including the creation of a lake which became the home to a lively fish and insect population, and attracted all sorts of wildlife ... all captured in both his words and in his charming, and beautifully observed illustrations ... ranging from the typical "thelwellesque" cartoon style to wonderfully detailed pen and ink creatures from pike to water voles. (By the way ... go for the hardback)
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... +by+a+Pool

Two books just right for a glass of something good, and a delightful change of pace.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

WoodBurnerMatt
Rudd

Post by WoodBurnerMatt »

Luke wrote:Any preferences for coarse, fly, sea, big game etc or something more general?
Ideally Coarse, but every time I read a different (fishing) genre I usually enjoy it very much!

Thanks all, I have some wonderful suggestions already!

Woodburnermatt

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

My favourite is Arthur Ransome, Rod And Line. It is one of the best books I ever read in any genre. Mainly fly fishing but also some coarse. But it is literature,really. Enjoy, Bobby

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”