Chapman's rods

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: Chapman's rods

Post by Reedling »

Thanks for that, I had a look and the dimensions of the butt length and ring spacings are slightly different on mine..ie butt is 27 1/4 with a ball type end so will investigate further. :Thumb:

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Did they not do a Standard and a Deluxe model or was that the 500
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

My 550 is a deluxe, with copper whippings on the reel side of the butt guide and the ferules, green whippings elsewhere and red agate lined tip and butt guides, my 500 was rebuilt as a deluxe but without the copper as I had a spare butt guide. i liked the look of the copper i had a pair of rods built with the same layout of the half copper whipped butt guides and ferules, just makes it look a bit different to the standard rods :Thumb:

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Be interesting to see other people's 550s. At the risk of going over old ground this is my 550:

I know there's pictures on page two of this thread but I'd like to see how other 550 butt guides were whipped. My one has not only an agate butt guide but also an agate second guide which, John chapman assured me, would never have been done from new. So mine has undoubtedly been restored by someone, not sure who but whoever you are, especially if you're reading this, then I take my hat of you for the whipping you did with this copper wire.

Plot36
Roach

Post by Plot36 »

Here's mine - restored by Stephen Woolley in Ashbourne.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Haydn Clarke wrote: I know there's pictures on page two of this thread but I'd like to see how other 550 butt guides were whipped.
This i believe to be unrestored

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

JW Nov 09 004.jpg
I know we are looking at Chapman 550's but i haven't got one. But i have got 4 chapman 500's . Here's a pic of my favourite one, restored by Gary Marshall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Here is my 550 MK 1V butt ring, this is exactly as it came from the bootfair...

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

It would seem that Chapmans only ever whipped one side of the butt guide with the wire. Wonder why? Never seen this on any other coarse rods.

Looks like my one has not followed an original whipping pattern, unless Chapmans changed at some point from the other pictures shown about.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”