MK IV carp

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Ryeman
Roach

Re: MK IV carp

Post by Ryeman »

David wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:49 pm Hi Alan. Inside the front cover of this book there is a date 1955 and a name and address. Did you write your name etc, in your copy ? If you did and it
your name and address I would be willing to let you have the book. You could send me a private message. It's up to you.

David
That is very kind of you David, but it won't be mine. I had the 1961 third edition. And I didn't buy it until the late 1960s.

Alan

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: MK IV carp

Post by Mr B »

Ryeman wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:01 am
David wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:18 pm Hi I have just acquired an old MK1V split cane carp rod dated 1958. It's in need of a rebuild. On stripping the corks from the handle I have come across a spliced in section rapped in black whipping. Does anyone have information about this. Thank you
Dick Walker specified an 18 inch length of 3/4" wood dowel for the bottom end of the butt section, to stiffen it up. It sounds like this is what you've got.

Alan
I would be interested to know what wood was used as the dowel..... I remember reading the account in No Need To Lie.. (I haven't got my original signed copy by Mr Walker now.. long story)
If I remember correctly Ritchard Walker said that when he caught his record Carp, the rod bent right through the cork handle.
Dowles can be made of all sorts of timber..
Ash would be good as would be "Port Otford Cedar" (some of the best arrows are made of that now..Lawson cypress)
I suspect it could have been made of a standard dowel from the local timber merchant? I really don't know.. but find the whole original rod in story really interesting.
I suppose I should've got my book out, Richard walkers Rod building for amateurs, but if I remember correctly it doesn't cover his Carp rod?
I found it!!! The book that is.

Mr B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”