Chapman's rods

The Chapmans Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Chapman's rods

Post by AshbyCut »

Chevin wrote:Been looking at a chapman 500 and the 2 sections are not of equal lengh, is this normal for this rod or has it lost a few inches.
This is the link to the Chapman's 500 on their website, Sir :-

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=730
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Is this the 500 one on ebay - if so it seems is short by about 6inches. Both joints should of equal length same the 550.
Last edited by Olly on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

From the Chapman's description :-

"Chapman 500. This rod is designed to meet the demand for an inexpensive 10ft Avon style rod in built cane. Consisting of two 4ft joints with detachable handle."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Many thanks chaps, it was the rod on Ebay, was going to take a punt but it does seem to be missing a few inches.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Chevin wrote:Many thanks chaps, it was the rod on Ebay, was going to take a punt but it does seem to be missing a few inches.
I'd estimate about 8 1/2" short ... I measured the picture, and did a pro-rata calculation. Sad to see it described as "R Chapman vintage split cane 500 fishing rod in excellent used condition Avon rod 10 feet 2 part with detachable cork handle "

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/r-chapman-vin ... 27cfb4929d

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Have you emailed the seller to enquire about the picture and the obvious different lengths
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

If you are looking for a rod, this may be worth a punt. Looks like a MK iv clone (judging by the layout and ferrule and length of handle). Not much info in the listing but could be worth asking some questions
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Loop, I would email the seller but as they have already stated the rod is in good condition and 10ft in length, which I suspect isnt I feel I would not get a satisfactory answer, and to be honest I wouldnt pay the fee its reached already for a rod thats missing that much from the tip.

MGs, to what rod are you refering.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have just had a look through this thread as I have a few Chapman rods and noticed a renovated 550 with a lined butt ring. My 550 has an unlined butt and tip ring and the first whipping on the butt ring is also copper whipped? The transfer in black italics is R.Chapman &Co, Ware, Herts and written in black ink on blank is MK 1VCarp 550, the whips are dark green. My question is does this rod sound original as it certainly looks untouched but having an unlined butt rang a small alarm bell. I have used this rod many times on our local lakes and it is superb in the hand although a bit scarey :Hide: with some of the larger fish..it gave me confidence in the rods abilities though. :Thumb:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Chapman's website gives complete details of the 550. You could always give them a call and have a chat.

The details state :- "Green Early models may have twisted copper wire on lower leg of butt guide" which sounds as though yours is right.

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=382

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”