MK IV carp

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: MK IV carp

Post by Santiago »

No worries! I know I'll never know the maker as there's no decal, and I already enjoy the rod for what it is! And it fishes superbly. I guess also part of the enjoyment is the mystery, and part of that is trying to find information on who 'might' have made it ; especially considering how few of the MKIVs have this odd node pattern, possibly built for extra strength, built like a game rod! Just like JB Walker mentions in his rod building book.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi I have just acquired an old J B Walker Kit MK1V split cane carp rod dated 1958. It's in need of a rebuild. On stripping the corks from the handle I have come across a spliced in section rapped in black whipping. Does anyone have information about this. Thank you
Last edited by David on Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

David wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:18 pm Hi I have just acquired an old MK1V split cane carp rod dated 1958. It's in need of a rebuild. On stripping the corks from the handle I have come across a spliced in section rapped in black whipping. Does anyone have information about this. Thank you
Dick Walker specified an 18 inch length of 3/4" wood dowel for the bottom end of the butt section, to stiffen it up. It sounds like this is what you've got.

Alan

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

:readnews: If your interested in the dowel being in the handle read a copy of 'Drop me a line' by RW. He was using this as Ryeman says and also intermated that it was a way of reducing the cost of cane to MW.This was much earlier than 1958.....Was the rod David has a Walkers of Hythe home kit build up ,a repair or a deep thinking angler experimenting ! David does not tell us of a retailer or maker.... did B.James or others stiffen up the action as suggested?

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

I built a MK1V carp rod from scratch, over 50 years ago, using information in Walker's book Rod Building For Amateurs. I no longer have the book but remember that Walker specified a 3/4 inch diameter wood dowel 18 inches long with a 6 inch deep hole drilled to take the bottom end of the cane. Saw cuts down the sides of the hole allowed the joint to be strengthened by whipping it.
I seem to remember Walker specified beech for the dowel, which I thought at the time, and still think, isn't the ideal choice of wood for the job, but not a bad choice. The important thing is to turn the dowel from split wood, to ensure straightness of grain.

Alan

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

There is a video on YouTube of Bob Southwell making a fly rod in British Columbia, search 'bob southwell rodmaker' (sic) :-)

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi everyone. The MK1V rod I have must be a kit built one. The name on the rod says " Made by C Gooday 1958 " Underneath that is written "Rewhipped 1960 by, and looks like, N Scragg" Also on the rod is written. MK1V Carp Rod. It is full length and quite a slim but powerful rod compared to my three B James MK1V Carp rods The spliced in section is dowel, The male ferrule is the kind with the extra spike, for want of a better word, that enters into the bottom of the female ferrule, and as the ferrule has a split I am replacing it. Thanks to those members replying to my post. Just to add. I think where it says Made by might have been better put saying. Built by. As you know, if you use components to construct an item it is build and not made. I think by what you have all told me about J B Walker producing kits, I believe this may be one of those.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi Alan. I have just got hold of a used hardback copy of Walker's book Rod Building For Amateurs (still with its dust jacket and a bargain at £2). I've not yet read what he has to say regarding the dowel but look forward to reading the whole book. Thanks for pointing me towards the book.

David
Last edited by David on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

David wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:20 am Hi Alan. I have just got hold of a used hardback copy of Walker's book Rod Building For Amateurs (still with its dust jacket and a bargain at £2). I've not yet read what he has to say regarding the dowel but look forward to reading the whole book. Thanks for pointing me towards the book.
David
Hi David,
I'm pleased you got the book, and for a real bargain price. It's an excellent book. I lent my copy to someone and never got it back!

Alan

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi Alan. Inside the front cover of this book there is a date 1955 and a name and address. Did you write your name etc, in your copy ? If you did and it
your name and address I would be willing to let you have the book. You could send me a private message. It's up to you.

David

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”