Chapman's rods

The Chapmans Rods forum.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Chapman's rods

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Have faith in the Chapman......don't forget my 550 recently landed this!!!

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

RyanBurns

Post by RyanBurns »

What a stunner sk!
I have had twenty pound carp on my own built version of the 500.
I much prefer the 500 tapers to the mkiv for an avon rod!
Ryan

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Interesting you should say that Ryan, as Chapman's themselves apparently felt you couldn't have a compound taper in a scaled-down ten foot rod, so their 500 is a straight taper. The 550, though is quite a different rod with a compound taper apparently very close to Walkers original Mark IV.

Perversely, a few people don't like the 550 to fish with, yet loads love the Mark IV, so there must be some difference..............

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Nobby wrote:Ah...a plastic geared Delmatic 2...did they melt, Sean?

Whopping fish, mate!!!!
No Nobby it handled the fish very well. I have had the bail arm boss crack on the flyer on one reel. I suspect the plastic gets a bit brittle with age.

I know what you mean about the 550 Nobby. I've always felt that they are a bit heavy actioned in the tip, but given that they have pretty much exactly the same taper given by Walker in RBFA I always assumed that Mk IVs felt the same.

Superb fish SK!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I've used my 550 and onion mk4 side by side and found the 550 a little softer but not much although I found another mk4 that was a lot softer than mine does but it may be down to the cane more than the taper

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I bought a very much beat up Chapman 550 some 25 years ago and Chapman's very kindly re-built it and restored it for me. Both cane sections had to be replaced so effectively I suppose I got myself a new 550. First time out the top section took on a significant set which could be corrected by bending the cane the other way. I sent it back to Chapmans who apologised profusely and sent me a new top section.

Since then the rod has performed well but is in my opinion far less powerful than a James MkIV Carp rod. However, the Chapman 550 has to it's credit a good number of double figure carp from relatively weed free and snag free waters albeit the doubles we are talking about here are 10lb - 12lb.

I did try it out on the Lower Teme and whilst it will sort out the Chub on floating crust it is no match for the bigger Barbel when ledgering bread flake or luncheon meat.

As a rod I like it and as with all things you have to use it not only for the purpose it was designed for but also acknowledge its limitations and best uses.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

PershoreHarrier wrote:I bought a very much beat up Chapman 550 some 25 years ago and Chapman's very kindly re-built it and restored it for me. Both cane sections had to be replaced so effectively I suppose I got myself a new 550.
Like and an angling equivellent of Trigger's broom there Pershore. :Wink:

Lovely rod though. Love my 550.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Haydn Clarke wrote:
PershoreHarrier wrote:I bought a very much beat up Chapman 550 some 25 years ago and Chapman's very kindly re-built it and restored it for me. Both cane sections had to be replaced so effectively I suppose I got myself a new 550.
Like and an angling equivellent of Trigger's broom there Pershore. :Wink:

Lovely rod though. Love my 550.
Nearly although the butt section and reel fittings are original together with the ferrules which were in sound condition but that is it. I do like the rod though - handles well and I have had some decent fish on it.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Super rod you have there PH. I haveone the same and landed a 25lb Redmire common in the weed last year with it, don't underestimate it's potential. :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Been looking at a chapman 500 and the 2 sections are not of equal lengh, is this normal for this rod or has it lost a few inches.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”