"Natural fish/cultivated fish" and national records.

This forum is for discussing carp.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: "Natural fish/cultivated fish" and national records.

Post by Snape »

Smallscale wrote:I'll post a photo or two soon, once I figure out how.
Use tinypic.
At the bottom of the page it says" upload to tinypic".
Find the picture on your PC and click upload then paste into the message.
Lookig forward to seeing the photos. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Smallscale wrote:Here goes...hey where'd tinypics go?
When you click reply just beneath the box where you type the reply is says upload attachment and in there there should be a button which says upload to tinypic.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Smallscale wrote:Nope nothing there...
It was earlier, maybe it's temporarily down?
It is on mine. Mark - Any ideas?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It's working fine on my PC, it could be something to do with your browser Smallscale.

Here is the tinypic user link.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... f=84&t=838

If you are still having trouble Smallscale email me the pictures at contact@traditionalfisherman.co.uk and I will add them to your post.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Records aren’t important to me anymore, apart from my own personal records. All I want to achieve from my fishing is to enjoy myself, set myself targets and to do things on my terms.

The carp fishing world is in limbo at present, no new record carp to fish for, it just doesn’t exist, well not as far as we know, so it’s about sitting around, trying to catch a whacker whilst waiting until something big turns up. Not for me but each to their own.

This is why there is controversy surrounding certain lakes, talk of importing fish that can topple the current record and fish that can grow on to overshadow anything we have seen before, but this would cause so much stir that the same would happen that we have already seen happen with the catfish and grass carp records.

I’m more than happy to let the world do their thing, I am focussed to what I want out of my fishing, that’s all that really matters to me.

Exactly, as the old saying goes "Happy is he who goes out to please himself and not to astonish others."
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Smallscale wrote:I'm now trying at work thinking it is maybe my tablet playing silly buggers, but tinypics aint here either! It is on other threads though...anyway Mark if you wouldn't mind; the fish are only about 3-4lbs worth in the pics but they are beautifull. the e-mail is on the way.
I have not recieved an email as yet Smallscale.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Hapless Angler

Post by The Hapless Angler »

I agree with many of the comments posted on here and the only records that concern me are my own. However in defense of some fisheries and in particular Mid Kent Fisheries where Two-tone resided, this carp was not artificially grown large and then stocked it was a pure English carp (well as English as any card can be) and was stocked from the Mill Pool in Faversham into Conningbrook at 12lb in 1982 and then grew to its phenomenal size naturally. I agree that its continuous recapture at ever increasing weights did start to get boring but I guess it is whatever floats your boat. Although a member and a bailiff at the time I never bothered to cast a line for the fish as the lake was renowned to be very difficult and not conducive to my style of fishing as well as life being to short. Indeed all of MKF’s lakes stock are renowned as pure English and in fact they refuse to re-stock lakes with dwindling yet famous stock such as Johnson’s Railway lake.

However, those hidden away gems are still out there and I was privileged to have access to a small estate lake of about 1.5 acres. The lake held only carp and no one had any idea of how they got into the lake including the owners who have been in possession of the estate for well over 100 years. A club did have the water about 15 years ago and was stocked with a few small carp this was never in any great numbers. The largest carp ever caught in the lake is 14lbs and the majority of the fish caught were very lean commons although you would occasionally catch a mirror.

The best thing about this lake was that it was very rarely fished and very shallow (max 3-4ft) so fish spotting was easy as well as catching them, including on floaters (as long as the ducks didn’t get there first). When hooked these fish would literally somersault out of the water before heading off on a 30 yard run! :huray:

My avatar is in fact fish caught from this lake on a quick two hour session. The lake was a syndicate recently but I think the members were hoping to find monster lurking within. I think they gave up fairly quickly on it and did not renew the following year. I certainly didn’t see them fishing it after the initial flurry when they took on the syndicate (I actually lived on the estate). Just before this syndicate I actually was in the middle of setting up a syndicate for some bankers but then the market crashed and they quickly lost interest so if anyone is interested in this lake I am happy to enquire with the estate if it is still available, I know they will want £1,000+ per year and strictly no night fishing. PM me if interested.

Here is a pic of the lake Image

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Smallscale wrote:You can do South African Carp for nowt anywhere...if your brave enough!
There's millions of 'em all round the place. We have our share of puddle pigs, now that the boillie brigade is in full cry, but there are loads of "wild/feral" carp about. The ones I catch in the pond down the road even look like your "wildies", down to being long and lean and darker in colour. I'll post a photo or two soon, once I figure out how.
Here are the said pictures, we got there in the end Smallscale and very nice carp they are by the way. :thumb:

Mark (Administrator)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

They look like true wildies Smallscale. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Lovely, I'd certainly like to fish there...
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”