Seating....

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Seating....

Post by Nobby »

Ah, a 'general'. They recently offered me a 'local' whilst going 'in' to extract a 'pig-tailed stent' ( ask the Mrs! ) other wise known as the Devils Curly-Wurley.

My raised eyebrow was enough to tell them I'd be having the general, thankyouverymuch! Preferably several of them!

As 'one of the team' she will surely get the best....if for no other reason than that those 'in the know' make the very worst of patients and they want them fully recoverd and shot of them asap :laugh:

My very best wishes to her once more.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

In the past she has had very good treatment when in hospital, I'm sure they 'take care of their own'. But you are correct, she is a really awful patient and I'm sure they will be glad to see the back of her!

Sion
Bleak

Post by Sion »

I recently found myself this vintage french folding stool in a car boot sale whilst t'other side of the pond:

Quite comfortable, however sinkage was an issue today (as well as a lack of fish ... probably not the stools fault!)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sion wrote:I recently found myself this vintage french folding stool in a car boot sale whilst t'other side of the pond:

Quite comfortable, however sinkage was an issue today (as well as a lack of fish ... probably not the stools fault!)
Yes I have one too but I haven't resorted to it yet. I bought it more because I used one as a child. However when my children were smaller they used it. Great little seat.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

That's just reminded me that the folding stool I used as a lad was often more comfortable when sat on "side saddle". Numbing of parts would occur after an hour or two of conventional sitting. I'm still not sure (having never used a stool since) whether it was the stool or me that was the problem. :think:

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

I like to travel light and often use the train to travel to my fishing so a combination of something to sit on and carry a modicum of tackle, plus bait, sandwiches, flask and a waterproof that’s light, sturdy and comfortable is indeed the Holy Grail. Stools are fine for short sessions, but particularly if you are in one spot for any length of time a back rest is, for me anyway, essential.

Probably the best and the closest I’ve got is an Efgeeco Pakaseat given to me on very generous terms by another TF member. These are now like gold dust, command silly prices on eBay and why the tackle trade cannot come up with something similar today is beyond me.

A close second is the Shakespeare Beta Box with a breakaway back-rest – you see sea anglers using them.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I've just got myself a wicker basket off the dreaded eBay. It's a 4 leg jobby not the 6 leg. I didn't want something massive as I always get tempted to overfill it and then find it aggravates the various health problems that plague me :( It looks nice enough and at a tenner I thought it was worth a bid. With a decent cushion (I know how to put foam together as I used to work at a place that made car seats and their is an art to it) it should be ok as I tend not to do more than about 3 hours at a time. Plus, this way I have seat and box all in one and can move swims easier.

I shall let you all know how I get on with it :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

The above mentioned basket has now arrived, nice and quick too :) It is an absolute delight. It is very sturdy, very light in weight (incredibly so in fact) and the perfect size. It isn't one of those massive 6 leg jobs but neither is it one of the tiny baskets upon which Ronnie Corbett would be liable to have difficulty staying put on. There is a small amount of green paint on the one side but that will easily come off. The leather strap that hold the lid shut needs some leather food rubbing in but I have a nice jar of Lord Sheraton's for that. I am not sure what the shoulder strap is actually made of. It looks original. or should I say, similar to the sort of strap that I remember most people having with wicker baskets. It may or may not be leather. This is rather stiff but I am unsure as to what to use to soften and free it up? Any ideas?

Now, I need to check out those posts with the details for cleaning and caring for wicker. Having never had a wicker basket in my youth, though I dearly wanted one, I am as yet unsure of how to do all this :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Kevanf1 wrote: I am not sure what the shoulder strap is actually made of. It looks original. or should I say, similar to the sort of strap that I remember most people having with wicker baskets. It may or may not be leather. This is rather stiff but I am unsure as to what to use to soften and free it up? Any ideas?
Most of the original shoulder straps were canvas webbing - I suppose if it's "matured" enough, it might now resemble leather! If it really is leather, then the softener you've got for the strap should be suitable. If its webbing, then a scrub with a nail brush and some diluted washing up liquid should help.

The only maintenance I remember the old boys ever giving their baskets was a dunk in the bath to tighten the cane if it started to loosen up!

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Ah, I remember some have a webbing strap. It was a very light beige colour. This is more the luxury (my term) strap. I remember both types but this is going back nearly 40 years. The one on my basket is not webbing. It is akin to leather but whether it is or not I don't know. As you say, Davy, it can't hurt to try the Lord Sheraton's leather balsam on it too.

I have to say, I an rather chuffed with this basket. Add this to the Alpha leger rod I also got yesterday and I am on a bit of a high :)

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”