what are your favourite fishing quotes?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: what are your favourite fishing quotes?

Post by Mark »

stalkingluke wrote:Do you happen to have any teachers with the surname Bates? :hahaha:
I should fetch your coat Luke if I were you. :chuckle:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

stalkingluke wrote:Do you happen to have any teachers with the surname Bates? :hahaha:
Forty lashes for you my boy!!! :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:
Forty lashes for you my boy!!! :wink:
With a MKIV Avon tip! :shocked:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I was thinking along the lines of a floppy twig.......don't want to hurt him now do we! :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers". - Herbert Hoover
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Blame Walton.
Berners kept everything brief and simple, Walton loved complications, secret recipes, arcane ingredients and everything short of witchcraft - he found the human end of the system at least as fascinating as the piscine.

Innovation, including false starts and ingenious solutions to non-existent problems, is a major part of Angling's rich tradition. We are in the fortunate position of being able to be eclectic about it, taking the bits we fancy on the day, without anyone telling us we've got it all wrong (unless they've taken the precaution of buying us a pint first, in which case it's filed under "civilised and entertaining debate").

Civilised and entertaining debate - hm - pretty much what Walton was all about; a book to read, preferably in the company of anglers, when it was to dark or foul to be out fishing. To Educate, Inform and Entertain, or some such.
For "Blame" Walton, read "Bless".
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Snape wrote:
Hmm? Popped chick peas. Sounds worth trying....
Had success with sugarpuffs so don't see any reason why not! Its the honey that they love. Shaped to hide a size 14 perfectly :wink:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them." John Gierach "Fly Fishing the High Country"
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

4ngler wrote:
Snape wrote:
Hmm? Popped chick peas. Sounds worth trying....
Had success with sugarpuffs so don't see any reason why not! Its the honey that they love. Shaped to hide a size 14 perfectly :wink:
Americans use them a lot at the centre of their pack baits. http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Carp-Fishin ... baits.html

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

DrBleep wrote:
Snape wrote:"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers". - Herbert Hoover
"There may be reds under the bed"
J.Edgar Hoover.
He didn't mean maggots...sorry gentles, I don't think.
"I eat spilled maggots"
Henry Hoover.
"The great smell of Brut"
Henry,
:hahaha: You're a bit sharp for gone midnight DrBleep !

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”