does any body else collect leather bound books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Steve Reed

Re: does any body else collect leather bound books

Post by Steve Reed »

Re my earlier post about getting some old favourites rebound, I have discovered that this company is a mile down the road from me.

http://www.mastersbookbinding.co.uk/

Has anyone used them and can they comment on quality of work?

Thanks

Steve

McFairy

Post by McFairy »

There is only one problem though.

To realise our investment we would have to part with the books and I know I couldn't do that.

When I can no longer get on the bank I will still be able to sit and read the books in my collection and be carried back to days by the river.

It's my son who will inherit my collection that will have the chance to see if the investment was a good choice.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I cant see me parting with my books but its a lot of fun seeing if they are worth more than I originally paid for them all the books that have been a good buys have been hardbacks except for one softback which is nature of barbell which has become quite collectable all my leathers Ive bought have been in the last two seasons so I will have to wait and see if I have bought well or not

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Phil Arnott wrote:
Firebird wrote:Are leather books that good an investment? Even if they keep their value, or increase, you'd have to buy an awful lot to make a worthwhile contribution to your pension. Quite a risky investment I would think.
Some books have done a lot better than some pension funds and not just Equitable Life.

Books could be put under the heading of collectables which include antiques. As with all collectables, knowledge is the key.

If you invest your wealth then diversity and asset allocation is essential to mitigate risk. If you have the required knowledge and put say 2% of you investments into collectables I could not see a problem.

If you don't invest in some more risky investments you won't make enough to retire on.

Bet you wished you'd never mentioned it now!

Regards,

Phil

You will never have enough to retire on.
The essential part is knowing when to retire - it needs to be early enough to be able to enjoy some retirement time.
That is what really matters. :Confused:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

OxonFisher

Post by OxonFisher »

Julian wrote:
Phil Arnott wrote:
Firebird wrote:Are leather books that good an investment? Even if they keep their value, or increase, you'd have to buy an awful lot to make a worthwhile contribution to your pension. Quite a risky investment I would think.
Some books have done a lot better than some pension funds and not just Equitable Life.

Books could be put under the heading of collectables which include antiques. As with all collectables, knowledge is the key.

If you invest your wealth then diversity and asset allocation is essential to mitigate risk. If you have the required knowledge and put say 2% of you investments into collectables I could not see a problem.

If you don't invest in some more risky investments you won't make enough to retire on.

Bet you wished you'd never mentioned it now!

Regards,

Phil

You will never have enough to retire on.
The essential part is knowing when to retire - it needs to be early enough to be able to enjoy some retirement time.
That is what really matters. :Confused:
Don't let the government know or they will keep increasing the retirement age!

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

the problem with a investment is knowing whats good and whats not as far as buying old non angling books I have no interest in them plus your already buying something that has a premium value so it may go down as well as up as for gold that's a gamble just like shares and the price is very high at the moment but contempory angling books may or may not be a very good investment but I will enjoy them so that's the main reason why I buy them not to sell them for a quick profit if you want something for a rainy day try saving your money and put it into a isa and have a little dable in ftse 100 shares that would be my advice

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Personally I buy books to read, just like vintage tackle is bought to be used.... If using the tackle or reading the book devalues it from a collecting point of view, so be it - that isn't a point of view that informs my purchase. If the said items do go up in value, that may be a bonus for someone at some point ion the future but not me, because I won't part with the item anyway.

The joy of a cane rod is in it's action and the joy of a book in the written word therein.

I do have a small number of leather bounds, but these are books that were of particular interest and I wanted copies that marked their importance (The Carp Catcher's Club letters being an example). If, like the Colonel) you have a love of leather than that's lovely and I understand fully the love of quality and the aesthetic pleasure of such volumes; it's just not for me on my limited budget!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Skeff wrote:Personally I buy books to read, just like vintage tackle is bought to be used.... If using the tackle or reading the book devalues it from a collecting point of view, so be it - that isn't a point of view that informs my purchase. If the said items do go up in value, that may be a bonus for someone at some point ion the future but not me, because I won't part with the item anyway.

The joy of a cane rod is in it's action and the joy of a book in the written word therein.

I do have a small number of leather bounds, but these are books that were of particular interest and I wanted copies that marked their importance (The Carp Catcher's Club letters being an example). If, like the Colonel) you have a love of leather than that's lovely and I understand fully the love of quality and the aesthetic pleasure of such volumes; it's just not for me on my limited budget!
S'what I said (more or less) :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Great minds sir....

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Share your views Skeff, a leather bound book can be a thing of beauty and craftsmanship but its the contents itself which are the key to my satisfaction, I have picked up a lot of 1st editions/dust wrappers in vg/fine condition etc but I get lots of pleasure from my well read 'Fishermans Folly' paperback by B.B. But I must say have just finished your book over the xmas period, a fine read with great pics.
Tight lines Dave

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”