Cardinal 66, 77, X series & 6-7

The ABU Reels forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Cardinal 66, 77, X series & 6-7

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Outstanding :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Is there any way that the images in the original post can be viewed?
I’d like to find out when my own 66 was manufactured.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:43 am Is there any way that the images in the original post can be viewed?
Whats the serial number on the foot of your reel please?
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

BeechmereLake wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:30 pm
Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:43 am Is there any way that the images in the original post can be viewed?
Serial number on my green/ cream 66 is 761208.
I’m guessing circa 77 as I have a Tight lines 76 and that shows the 66 as having the smaller spool release button, and smaller handle knob , whereas mine has the larger button and ‘T’ shaped handle knob.
It’s a lovely example that was gifted to me from a friend and I intend to use it for some BIG barbel .
I’m hoping to be able to improve the smoothness of the drag so I can operate it in’baitrunner’ fashion.
The drag at the moment is a bit ‘snatchy’ but it looks like the washers have some old oil contamination.
What’s the best way to smooth it out? And do you advise replacing the washers with carbon??
Great thread bu the way. Amazing source of information.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:54 am
I’m guessing circa 77 as I have a Tight lines 76 and that shows the 66 as having the smaller spool release button, and smaller handle knob , whereas mine has the larger button and ‘T’ shaped handle knob.
It’s a lovely example that was gifted to me from a friend and I intend to use it for some BIG barbel .
I’m hoping to be able to improve the smoothness of the drag so I can operate it in’baitrunner’ fashion.
The drag at the moment is a bit ‘snatchy’ but it looks like the washers have some old oil contamination.
What’s the best way to smooth it out? And do you advise replacing the washers with carbon??
OK so your serial reel dates it 1976, in fact your reel dates 76 = 1976 12 = December and 08 = Revisions of the reel.
No need for carbon washers in these old reels unless you feel you need them, degrease the ones you have and let dry out before building the reel back up and they should be fine, If worn replace them. :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

BeechmereLake wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:35 am
Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:54 am
OK so your serial reel dates it 1976, in fact your reel dates 76 = 1976 12 = December and 08 = Revisions of the reel.
No need for carbon washers in these old reels unless you feel you need them, degrease the ones you have and let dry out before building the reel back up and they should be fine, If worn replace them. :Hat:
Wow thanks Martin , that’s really helpful. I remember 1976 clearly - the extreme summer that saw my local fishing spot( an estate lake) almost dry up completely,and the proceeding winter ( when my Cardinal was built) I spent trying to catch pike from the ‘Long water’ on the Royal Parks ticket. Happy days

Return to “ABU Reels”