Allcocks Lucky Strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
GloucesterOldSpot

Re: the lucky strike

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Original ringing - one unlined stand-off on the butt; three unlined stand offs on middle; four unlined stand offs on tip, plus lined tip eye.

The step problem you have is not solely due to using grade A thread (though the original thread would have been equal to grade C) - you need to file down the ends of the ring feet which, as supplied, are cut off square. Aim for a gradual tapering of the depth of the foot down to almost nothing, which will allow the thread to run up the slope without gaps.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

It also helps to ease off the thread tension a bit as you go over the tip of the foot. Most people (me included) use too much tension when they whip anyway. I blame it on me starting on glass fibre blanks on which tension didn't really matter :)
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Thanks for the help guys,comments noted and the rod is coming on nicely,not perfect but OK for my fishing ambitions.
I found the following to really help.
Dont try wrapping rods after a hard days work.
use plenty of light preferably daylight and..............take your time.
Started with this mess
But progressing

I shall post some pics and some lessons leanrt when I have a bit more time.
Ken

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I thought those were mousetraps for a minute!

How do they work? Do they fuzz up the silk?

Did you manage to get the set out of the tip section?, it'd probably respond to a heating with a candle flame nicely.

I agree about the light, you can't get enough of it and in the 'right place' too. I used to have my worktable up against the window, but it was hopeless light-wise....the work was just a dark outline if the sun came out.

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Pinched the trap Idea from a yankee site and soon knocked up a wrapping machine which works well.
I have made it so the supports can be moved around to suit ring spacing and the set up is completely portable.Useful for getting out of the wifes way.
Couldnt find traditional wooden traps though!
They are tweaked to keep things in tension but not so much that you cannot let go of the rod during the process and it will not turn when I do so.
I am wrapping with Gudebrod Golden Rod A Grade and have struggled to keep the wraps tight and I tend to get bits popping up over night.Maybe I am wrapping to tight? but it comes off the cotton reel nicely whereas the Fish Hawk Black does seems to be of a lesser quality and has broken on a couple of occasions.
I have re rung the top section to reduce set but as this was my first restoration I was not confident to try and straighten it completely.adds to character.
K

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I used D grade for my LS. Gudebrod Goldenrod and black. It was closer to the gauge of thread that was there originally than the A grade
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Did I read someone on this forum could make new decals or as it some where else?
Ken

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

It was on here. I think Hermes has an Allcocks logo
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Nearly there.
Not perfect and a few bits to tidy mainly on the handle but good enough for me a only a few weeks before the end of the season this rod needs a good session.
Very frustrating trying to keep that wrapping right and even after at least four coats of sealer,after a couple of coats of varnish some of the thread has turned translucent all of a sudden.Not as original or for the purists but it looks great to me.
I do have a soft attempt at taking out some of the set but lacked confidence and to be honest I like it as it is.Quirky.
I keep getting the feeling that the rod did not mind a brush up but was not happy getting its back straight.
Thanks for your help with this rod I have discovered a lot over the last few weeks and I am sure my next project will be better.
Ken

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Well done Ken. That's another one bought back to life. May it bring you many fish. :thumb:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”