Re: Craftversa.

Post by Nobby »

Nice...quite a find considering.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Bad news on the Craftversa

After having it inspected by top professionals in the trade it seems that the butt section has been bent beyond the natural limits of the material. The damage was hidden underneath the guide wrap below the ferrule.
I'm not throwing anymore money at it.
I've arranged for a full refund with the seller, oh well it was fun while it lasted.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Bad luck mate. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained...
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I'd say better luck next time, but there probably won't be a next time. I've got "Craftversa" saved in my ebay search list and have had for about 4 years. That was the first and only one in all that time. Next time round you might have a bit more competion, as my attention was diverted by the Hunter.

I must say, you're lucky to get the seller to take it back after a week or so. I expect to see a second round of bidding on that rod even after what your restorer has told you.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's bad news. Do the restorers not think it can be straightened then? .... it looked simple enough in the photo, but perhaps outer fibres have been damaged.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Apparently the stress to the cane is beyond repair. :cry:

VernonBenables

Post by VernonBenables »

I've been reading this with interest as i've been looking for a Craftversa for several years with no luck.I've got two Swimversa's though.
One has a spliced in built cane middle section, the other one is the actual rod BV is using on the Kennet in Anglers Corner,it has " patent applied for" written on the butt so must be an early one ,it has spliced in whole cane in the middle joint.Both are whipped in red/black.Hope this is helpful.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

vernonbenables wrote:the other one is the actual rod BV is using on the Kennet in Anglers Corner,it has " patent applied for" written on the butt so must be an early one ,it has spliced in whole cane in the middle joint.Both are whipped in red/black.Hope this is helpful.
Sounds interesting VB how did you come to acquire that?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Although they both have a reverse tapered butt, the two rods are very different in weight and action.

I too would love a Craftversa, but they are very thin on the ground, not least because they were only made for a couple of years.

I'd imagine BV's Swimversa is worth a bob or two, whole cane splice notwithstanding.

Weyfarer actually discovered that Milwards were granted a European Patent on the reverse tapered butt, with a very long and confusing description of how the rod would cast further. Putting all that casting power through the 'twin taper tip' was more than I could bring myself to do and I never did see how far it would chuck a float.

VernonBenables

Post by VernonBenables »

Regarding BVs Swimversa,I acquired it many years ago well before Ebay and well before anybody thought of "Traditional Fishing".I think Bernard was having a clear out of a few bits.I had a centre spread of an old Angling Times of Bernard using the rod so I just had to have it.Its in good condition and has Bernards signature on the butt,ive never cleaned it,its exactly as it came from him and have used it only once, on the Kennet where else,but I didn't catch any Roach on it as he did on the video.How much is it worth,well its priceless as it wont' be for sale while i'm around and my offspring are well aware who Mr Crabtree is.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”