does any body else collect leather bound books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Aitch
Pike

Re: does any body else collect leather bound books

Post by Aitch »

Atcherlee I ride a Triumph.... but your point is valid :Hat: :Cool: :Hahaha:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Bluelabel wrote:Being a humble manual worker my funds do not run to leather bound books.... I have a couple of first editions that my lovely wife bought for me a few years back, but I'd have to say, appealing though leather-bound may be, the wrapping is not so appealing as the contents.... for me a book is all about the words therein, hence an ordinary hardback will fulfill my needs, even a paperback or kindle version.... the wrapping doesn't enhance or diminish the words and sentiment...!

Nice to have.... but not totally necessary :Hat:
You make a good point, Bluelabel, "the wrapping doesn't enhance or diminish the words and sentiment", however, I feel, in the case of a leather-bound volume, it does enhance the experience of reading the words.
I can happily read from my Kindle while sitting in the hospital, waiting to see the Consultant, for hours on end. But my reading experience is far more pleasurable sat in a leather recliner, in the Conservatory on a Spring afternoon, reading from a leather-bound book, with a freshly brewed cuppa and a slice of plum cake to hand. Oh dear, I'd better stop, I'm beginning to sound a bit of a leather fetishist :Hide:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

The same can be said for tweeds. It's still the same you inside, only wrapped better.... :Wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

While most bibliophiles find leather bound books extremely pleasing to look at, handle and of course own. In many cases, providing funds are available, it makes good economic sense to buy leather bound editions. I collect mainly old sea angling books and would be prepared to spend a little more for certain favourites with original leather bindings however, there just aren’t that many about.

Books have been generally a good investment since I started collecting them and although this was not my original intention it is easier to justify spending hard earned money on a collection knowing that you can at least get your money back. With modern books providing the book becomes desirable to own and hence collectable and also the number issued is not too great, it makes very good sense to buy the leather bound editions which invariably increase in value at a much greater rate that the cheaper editions. You also get the pleasure of owning a lovely edition and don’t have to feel guilty about spending so much money!

I’ve only ever bought one modern leather bound book as it made no sense at all to do otherwise. I wanted a copy of the book, “The Glory Days of the Giant Scarborough Tunny”, to add to my library. The print run of hard backed editions was 250 and cost £94 and there were only 20 leather-backed editions produced at a cost of £200. I don’t normally mention to my wife how much I spend on my hobbies but in this case she was quite happy as I could tell her that the only leather one that has been sold in recent months went for £400. Importantly this also eases the way for further purchases!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Leather bound books are a luxury - which many can afford. I buy the hardback to read and makes notes where applicable - but unlike the Colonel I only have a couple of fishing 'leather-backs' as an investment & to occasionally read! A cane rod costs £800+ and a reel possibly the same - so £200 for a book is to some people - cheap!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need a few books from the 1800's recovered both in cloth boards & 2 in leather. I know a couple of names have been given but any more bookbinders to recommend around the SW of London into Surrey, Berks or Wilts. where I can take them to be assessed?

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

the investment is the enjoyment you get out of owning it and that's why if you buy well others wouild also like it same as any collectable I ownly buy what I would like that the best way to buy give it fishing rods reels or leather bound books

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

As far as I understand the ones which were only published in short runs and do not have a collectable alternative version are probably a good investment. The Medlar leathers I bought in the mid 90s for around £100 are now going for £200-300 but only those which are just available through Medlar eg 4 seasons, River diaries etc. Casting at the sun in Medlar leather does not fetch much more that when new as the original hard backs are far more sought after.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I was tempted to buy the medlar the leathers but I thought at the time they were tad expesive the young lady who used to answer the phone told me that the people who bought them bought them as investment a don't even read them anyway I didn't buyb them but bought the limited edition hardbacks which I purchased most of the coarse fishing ones I now regret not buying some of the leather ones now as I would have had a tidy collection now worth some money

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Firebird wrote:Are leather books that good an investment? Even if they keep their value, or increase, you'd have to buy an awful lot to make a worthwhile contribution to your pension. Quite a risky investment I would think.
Some books have done a lot better than some pension funds and not just Equitable Life.

Books could be put under the heading of collectables which include antiques. As with all collectables, knowledge is the key.

If you invest your wealth then diversity and asset allocation is essential to mitigate risk. If you have the required knowledge and put say 2% of you investments into collectables I could not see a problem.

If you don't invest in some more risky investments you won't make enough to retire on.

Bet you wished you'd never mentioned it now!

Regards,

Phil

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Phil Arnott wrote:As with all collectables, knowledge is the key.
Phil is spot on. Some leather-bound books will increase very little in value (or even decrease) whilst others may increase enormously. If any of us could accurately predict which is which then we could certainly add a nice little pot of gold to the pension fund :)

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”