The CEMEX lakes

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: The CEMEX lakes

Post by Olly »

It was in date order HAS (Halls Angling): Leisure Sport Angling; RMC Angling & finally CEMEX Angling before its sad demise. I worked for the last three.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

When I lived at Bexleyheath and then Dartford I belonged to DDAPS PerchBasher and Sutton was my favourite although Dartford lakes is where we fished as kids along with Horton kirby of course ( and Danson), but I was not a member back then. I bet we crossed paths at some point you know. Thanks for the timeline Olly, I bet you wished you were still with them. Reedling. :Hat:

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

That’s right Reedling, the old Halls Angling Scheme went through a number of name changes Leisure Sport, RMC and finally Cemex.

I recall the small lake you mentioned. I fished it back in the early/mid 70’s and I don’t think it was on a ticket then. It was gin clear, very weedy, and although I don’t recall ever catching a tench, thee were big eels and plenty of perch. As you mention Bill Turrell, I presume that by the early 1980’s the water was leased to Dartford DAPS? We also fished the adjacent river Darent a lot as well. This was before the drought in the very hot summer of 1976 when the river was fishing really well.

Do you still fish in the area now? I’m a member of Dartford DAPS and fish Horton Kirby and Sutton on a regular basis.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have not fished that way for years PerchBasher, although when we went up to see my parents at Bexleyheath the other day we detoured to Horton Kirby on the way home to relive my youth :Sun: . Do you know if the stretch of Darent by The Sun (Bridges?) pub at the back of the lakes is ok to fish or is it a club water as I used to love that stretch all those years back...it looks a lot narrower now though. Reedling. :Hat:

PS...As kids we cooked and ate our first Gudgeon there :roll:

PS..I will put a recent picture I took on the Darent thread page of the forum later, this is where I used to fish as a nipper and is the stretch i am asking about. The viaduct is in the background and you can just make out the white of the pub.

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Thans for posting this Reedling. I've responsed on the River Darent thread as that seemed more appropriate.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Farnham AS did indeed take on CEMEXs Yateley South & East complex. 8 lakes & a stretch of the Blackwater.

The season ticket went up @ £20 in price [to £86].

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I believe I joined Halls Agrement (Leisure sports) around 1969 and stayed through RMC/CEMEX until it went pear shaped a few years ago.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Just looking through some very interesting post on the Forum.,,
I remember fishing these gravel pits catching very big Perch before the disease that hit them..
It wasn't a club then but with my arm up our back we did join Halls Angling club... then Ready mix concrete! What a poxy name for a fishing club!
Never that interesting... the Perch were gone.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Amusing - the sole purpose of the gravel pits - - cement! So instead of selling sand and gravel sacks thereof - add a bit of cement powder = Ready Mix Concrete - eventually becoming a Mexican company CEMEX - - cement mexico!

The perch disappeared in 1963 with the big freeze killing millions of fish - including roach, bream, perch and pike - and carp.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”