The Chapmans Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Hunter

Post by Mark »

Very nice Lee.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Mushy wrote:That looks like a cracking rod, nice work, just like the others, really admire the Chapmans dark cane; just finishing a really old 550 and the cane still looks in top condition, will see though when it goes into battle !!
There seem,s to be mainly 500,s for sale at the moment and very few 550,s. Still looking

Mushy has your 550 got the oval gold leaf makers badge ?
Mark wrote:Very nice Lee.
Thank,s Mark

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

My 500 has, but no the 550 just has the writing "R Chapman & Co, Ware" running across the rod - does this date the rod ?
Best Fishes
Mushy

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Mushy wrote:My 500 has, but no the 550 just has the writing "R Chapman & Co, Ware" running across the rod - does this date the rod ?
Mushy the oval gold leaf ones are the early rod,s and the one,s with the black writing are the later rod,s.
Those gold leaf transfers are a pain to apply to the rod being water slide and over 50 years old they are very delicate, the black writing transfers are placed on to the cane and then rub the back of the paper with your finger nail and peel the backing off leaving just the black writing. Chapman,s also have some white writing transfers that were used on fibreglass rods

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Thanks for the info. Ljm, I guess my 550 must have had a hard life, better give the 500 a bit more TLC !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

That's a lovely looking rod Ljm, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MattMinter
Bleak

Post by MattMinter »

Greentura wrote:I have just finished restoring another Hunter SP and it's going to one of the bailiffs on a local club, bit sad as i turned out better than the one i already have, and that's fantastic and the older version with intermediate whippings. The 'SP' just looks so clean and uncluttered and would look great next to my 500. I will keep the next one I do as it needs a new top section and ferules so will be a lot more work, someone tried to 'fold it' at the ferules and bent both beyond repair :shocked:

Still searching for a 14' version though :Wink:
And this bailiff is over the moon with the restored Hunter - best rod I have ever had by a mile :Thumb:
“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

Albus Dumbledore.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

A couple of fish today on the restored De-luxe and recently acquired Delmatic Mk2

Had a load of roach, rudd, skimmer, perch and got snapped up twice by a couple of zoo creatures.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Where did you go Lee?

Gaz

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

GazTheAngler wrote:Where did you go Lee?Gaz
Prior,s Fishery. The Slips. Berwick pond Road. Rainham.

http://www.priorscarpfisheries.com/index.php?p=11

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”