Wallis casting as lockdown skill

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Wallis casting as lockdown skill

Post by Pallenpool »

When I was learning I found the most difficult aspect was the the pull on line in relation to distance - I kept using the Mr Porter method which is the ‘traditional’ method of the wallis where you hold the weight - once I had dispensed with this I found the whole process became a lot easier in fact very similar to the video with the chap fishing for steelheads.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Barbellina wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:35 am Of course...A grass carp. Did it go mental when you tried to net it, they usually do :doh: :laugh1:
My wife went mental when it kited across and trashed the rose bed! :Hahaha:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Pallenpool wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:20 am When I was learning I found the most difficult aspect was the the pull on line in relation to distance - I kept using the Mr Porter method which is the ‘traditional’ method of the wallis where you hold the weight - once I had dispensed with this I found the whole process became a lot easier in fact very similar to the video with the chap fishing for steelheads.
Yes. I think holding the weight and putting tension in the rod tip is only a benefit when using very light weights such as having a float set up. Once you have 1/3 oz or heavier I don't think it matters and I prefer the pendulum method.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The problem with the swing or pendulum casts are that the rod isn't perpendicular and in line with the weight and the target so the weight might go too far left or right if you release the reel early or late. The Wallis cast prevents this as all the elements are in a line. Simply removing the risk of the reel over running at the end of the cast by using a reel with a tension adjuster will give you more confidence more quickly. You can even cast heavier weights straight off the reel like when bait casting with a multiplier.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 pm The problem with the swing or pendulum casts are that the rod isn't perpendicular and in line with the weight and the target so the weight might go too far left or right if you release the reel early or late. The Wallis cast prevents this as all the elements are in a line. Simply removing the risk of the reel over running at the end of the cast by using a reel with a tension adjuster will give you more confidence more quickly. You can even cast heavier weights straight off the reel like when bait casting with a multiplier.
I think you are right. When I said pendulum method I meant with the rod pointing forwards and using an underarm cast rather than holding the weight in the left hand.
Trying a pendulum from the side, I find is very hit and miss where the weight lands but with practice it should be ok although my longest casts are always with the rod point in the direction of travel. The tension adjuster idea is a very good one although I now watch the weight as it flies forwards and start to slow the reel as it begins its descent so far no major over runs!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

In the early 20th century when the Hardy Bros were involved in the casting competitions somebody worked out that doing the pendulum cast often lost them straight line distance as the lead rarely travelled exactly in the right direction. So they came up with what was termed the overhead cast. For this the reel was mounted two-thirds of the way down the handle, turned sideways so the handles were uppermost when the rod rings were pointing downwards and the line came off the top of the reel. The rod was cast like a modern day beachcaster - straight overhead. :surrender:

I'll bet that there was a collective sigh of relief when FWK publicised his version :Hahaha:

If you are confident enough to slow the reel then you have passed the critical phase when everything comes together. At first there are too many things to do at exactly the right time for uncoordinated people like me. Too many people give up simply because of the complexity. Taking some of the risks out and then slowly building on success is the way to go. :Thumb:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:47 pm In the early 20th century when the Hardy Bros were involved in the casting competitions somebody worked out that doing the pendulum cast often lost them straight line distance as the lead rarely travelled exactly in the right direction. So they came up with what was termed the overhead cast. For this the reel was mounted two-thirds of the way down the handle, turned sideways so the handles were uppermost when the rod rings were pointing downwards and the line came off the top of the reel. The rod was cast like a modern day beachcaster - straight overhead. :surrender:

I'll bet that there was a collective sigh of relief when FWK publicised his version :Hahaha:

If you are confident enough to slow the reel then you have passed the critical phase when everything comes together. At first there are too many things to do at exactly the right time for uncoordinated people like me. Too many people give up simply because of the complexity. Taking some of the risks out and then slowly building on success is the way to go. :Thumb:
The one which gets me is the BC or swing cast used by Canadian steelhead fisherman. You cast straight off the reel. I can't begin to do it!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It is just the same as casting with a multiplier or bait casting reel. If you start with a simple pendulum cast and the reel friction brake set so as it allows the weight to drop a few inches if the rod tip is waggled you can easily achieve a gentle lob. Then gradually increase the speed of the forward movement.

I usually cast a swimfeeder or the large lures I use for catfish straight off the reel, but with two movements, not the three he used. It is similar to how you cast a fly in allowing the momentum of the back cast to load the rod so that it propels the weight forward more efficiently.

A Speedia is ideal once you have mastered the spool braking aspect as the spool itself weight little and so starts much quicker than a reel with a heavier spool.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:28 pm It is just the same as casting with a multiplier or bait casting reel. If you start with a simple pendulum cast and the reel friction brake set so as it allows the weight to drop a few inches if the rod tip is waggled you can easily achieve a gentle lob. Then gradually increase the speed of the forward movement.

I usually cast a swimfeeder or the large lures I use for catfish straight off the reel, but with two movements, not the three he used. It is similar to how you cast a fly in allowing the momentum of the back cast to load the rod so that it propels the weight forward more efficiently.

A Speedia is ideal once you have mastered the spool braking aspect as the spool itself weight little and so starts much quicker than a reel with a heavier spool.
What I can't get my head around is that he releases the spool on the back cast but is able to change the direction of the weight.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It is like in fly-casting with a shooting head. You lift the line, flick it back and allow a little to extend, then lightly hold the line to slow it and create a pull on the tip and drive forward before allowing the line to shoot out.

What he'll be doing is slightly slowing the reel before commencing the last sweep of the rod in order to turn the path of the lure. He calls it 'feathering' Notice how light the lure or weight is. It skips across the lawn. You can't do that technique easily with heavy weights. That is why I just use the more simple swing or pendulum cast with feeders or large lures if I'm wanting to get some extra distance.

Return to “Wallis Casting”