sight bobs...

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
GloucesterOldSpot

Re: sight bobs...

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Does anyone remember those leaf-floats you could get back in the 1980s? Same principle, and possibly offering less resistance. Perhaps it's time for them to return?

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I don't recall them, GOS - they sound fascinating... any images of one?

GloucesterOldSpot

Not been able to find an image (I've looked for one in the past) and it's a long time since I've seen one, but they were essentially a piece of solid plastic shaped like a spade on a playing card, flat on one side and keel-shaped on the other, with a projecting spigot each end for attachment to the line (with thin pole float silicone). They would naturally lie flat in the water with the flat face uppermost, and were green in colour, though I have an idea some were orange on the flat side. We used to fish for roach near the surface of a local lake with them; tackle was mostly a Lerc green fibreglass pole 12 - 16 feet long, with the float set two feet or so from the hook, no shot on the line at all, and single maggot or caster hookbait on a 20 hook and 12oz line. Bites were indicated by the float sliding across the surface, and you didn't miss too many, whereas if you've ever tried the method with a conventional float you'll know how hard it can be to hit the bites.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Is this what you mean GOS?

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GloucesterOldSpot

No, though I'm pleased to see there is/was another version. The ones I remember* were more of a grass green colour, smooth rather than serrated and veined, and they had those spigots I mentioned for line attachment. I can't remember who made them now, though they were in the same section of the tackle shop as those hollow-tipped wagglers which also (mysteriously) faded away quite quickly around the same time.

Those Anchor ones look like they'd be just the job for this sight-bob technique, though I expect those who've actually used the method will be able to point out disadvantages. The closest I've come to fishing this way for carp is to use a small peac0ck or porcupine quill flat on the surface, with a shot on the bottom, so I may be missing some vital point. I did once try attaching a real leaf to the line with a narrow float band, but the thing span round violently on the line when lowering the bait in, resulting in tangles, a spooked carp and some choice words.

*But my memory may be leading me astray, so don't place too much credence upon it!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Those Anchor ones are still available, they cost around £3 and are fished inline fashion. I've though about using them at places such as Waggoners where the carp can be a little more than wary.........
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

All that worries me about the Anchor leaf is the resistance it might offer while actually being pulled under - how small are these leaves..? My little rugby-ball "bobs" seem to dive under like submarines, nose first...

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

If the leaf is an in-line anchor is it supposed to be used as a self hooking controller float?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Here http://home.btconnect.com/anchortackle/ ... roller.htm
it says it acts as a bolt rig so it must offer resistance.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

SilverBirch

Post by SilverBirch »

As ever in angling there is a catergory of products that were always destined to catch more anglers than fish..the leaf possibly falls into this sector. But thats not to say that you can have some fun with them.

I spend plenty of time on 'runs' waters deliberately handicapping myself by using a specific method or bait constraint and take it to the fish rather than go for the tried and tested result producers. Some times I will take just one bizarre bait and try to make it work and prefer to blank trying, rather than resorting to the current in bait.... and thats just for kicks.

By selecting Cane and Pin alone you limit your angling efficiency so why not extend this to bait and method...

By that I mean taking, say, just a pocket full of pin pricked Vitamin E or Cod Liver Oil capsules to use as feed and bait...I can assure you they will pull fish in to a swim but rarely illicit a bite as a hook bait! It takes some courage to sit it out with fish fry or a piece of weed as a hook bait but if the suns shining and the venue is pleasant and catching is low on the priority list then it's OK to while away some time in the name of experimentation...a discovery is after all an accident meeting a prepared mind and who knows what may come from these idle dabblings, the obvious rarely yields new insights but the obscure just might.

Happy dabblings, I have plenty of ideas if you need to while away some time in the name of being surprised by the result...

100% cold pressed Aloe Vera gel mixed with worm castings are on paper be a great attractant...particularly on 'natural' rich waters, hook bait choice is more of an issue...

Anyway, non of its life and death stuff, merely a few eccentrics tripping up a few fishes from time to time in the name of a primal satisfaction..it runs parallel to modernity and is shared by a chosen few....namely us.

Think I'll cork the bottle and head to bed,

Good evening Gents.

SB

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”