When it comes to Mordexes.....

The Mordex Reels forum.
Evert van der Plas
Perch

Re: When it comes to Mordexes.....

Post by Evert van der Plas »

Stathamender wrote:
Evert, there's also a model called the Mentor.
The ebay sale of an (initially mislabelled) example of which is what first kicked off this discussion. Check my original post to get a link to it. Probably their attempt at a 'budget' version of the Avon Royal style reel.

Evert, I'm curious to know how you developed this interest in the reels made by a relatively minor, long defunct (since mid 1980s) tackle manufacturer from my home town of Sheffield, who are little remembered even there. Are they a cult in the Netherlands or something?
The interest on these reel come from the Facebook collectors groups, i see some of the reels passing by and bought one on E bay give the reel a make over and i was hooked on them. i gave my first Merlin a different color then usual, the other Mordex reels are all black
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I have, for some time now but in a rather desultory manner, been trying to dig up information about Mordex. It's not easy. They seem to have left little trace on the web other than second hand sales of their products. New Year's Resolution is to try harder and more systematically and go back to the old ways and try some of the paper based archives here in Sheffield.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That site is owned by out forum member Chavender, Evert.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Nobby wrote:That site is owned by out forum member Chavender, Evert.
That is good to know Nobby thank you. happy holidays

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I'll be uploading some more stuff in the new year ,as I did plan to upload some in nov but had to sort my computers out ,i do when I can collect pictures and any info I can to go with them (ebay can be a good source of pictures & snipits of info from descriptions) .some over several years I try to research and confirm what I can usually through chats on forums .any info i find i copy it too .txt files or word and save them up on a portable hard drive until i need them.

Stathamender if you think finding info on mordex is hard ,don't even think about researching speedia's ,its like most things people just didn't see the need to preserve the history/information with these small often backstreet factories/workshops and the things they made .when they closed they just threw all the paperwork away .but I must admit google is not as good as it used too be ,thesedays you have to wade through mountains of advert sites and sponsored pages to find anything of value or if at all .

i started the centrepin site too have someware to collate the info and have images for comparison to help identify reels people have .it a much bigger enterprize than i thought it would be as i don't have much time to dedicate too it .but i'll get there in the end .

i do like the various groups on facebook as its really good too see what others are doing with their reels etc ,i do use a slightly differen user name basically its my usual fishing user name of chavender because that's how i'm known by many people from the various forums i use and i added my name to it because i didn't want two facebook personas as most of my family & non fishing friends can keep in touch ,so my fackbook i/d is chavender steven devereux plus by mixing the two my company can't find me on facebook ,they've been known to check out peoples social media pages and catch people out (being on facebook instead of working) or saying something they shouldn't . i'm currently have 10 or so fishing groups i belong too and several car pages .you doo get some intrusion by google/facebook targeting you for advertising perposes but you can block most of it ,only put the minimum info in your profile and only accept people too your friends list if you know them or they have several "friends" in common ,keep control of it rather than let it control you .

i don't really do blogs ,but i did set up a site just for keeping a record of my endeavours for reference purposes (it also helps with posting the info to other sites and facebook ,i have to link back to my site too tell the tales because i cant always get all the info laid out properly in facebook ,I've some stuff too update/add on there too ,should keep me from getting too bored over the festive season .

http://ref.yuku.com/directory
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i have owned a few merlins (i quite like them) mostly the second gen ones and had to renovate one as it was in a poor state when it came too me .it hadblisterd paintwork and some deformation to the spool and a bit of the rear of the spool had rotted away so i stripped all the paint off and repainted the back black and polished the spools added some new handles (it originally had the triangle handles) i straitened up the spool and repaired the rear of the spool & i did intend making a new brass centre cap ,but ended up painting the old one a brassey colour i did later sell it on (noware near the over inflated prices some try it on with ,on e-bay) here is the finished reel

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

Chavender. Those handles look classy. Does Mills sell these?
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

no ,they're of a duracast reel ,when I see a duracast reel going cheap on web ,i'll try & buy them just for the handles .pop some cheap or home made handles on the duracast and then sell it on .keeping the duracast handles for your new pride & joy.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Chavender wrote:I'll be uploading some more stuff in the new year ,as I did plan to upload some in nov but had to sort my computers out ,i do when I can collect pictures and any info I can to go with them (ebay can be a good source of pictures & snipits of info from descriptions) .some over several years I try to research and confirm what I can usually through chats on forums .any info i find i copy it too .txt files or word and save them up on a portable hard drive until i need them.

Stathamender if you think finding info on mordex is hard ,don't even think about researching speedia's ,its like most things people just didn't see the need to preserve the history/information with these small often backstreet factories/workshops and the things they made .when they closed they just threw all the paperwork away .but I must admit google is not as good as it used too be ,thesedays you have to wade through mountains of advert sites and sponsored pages to find anything of value or if at all .

i started the centrepin site too have someware to collate the info and have images for comparison to help identify reels people have .it a much bigger enterprize than i thought it would be as i don't have much time to dedicate too it .but i'll get there in the end .

i do like the various groups on facebook as its really good too see what others are doing with their reels etc ,i do use a slightly differen user name basically its my usual fishing user name of chavender because that's how i'm known by many people from the various forums i use and i added my name to it because i didn't want two facebook personas as most of my family & non fishing friends can keep in touch ,so my fackbook i/d is chavender steven devereux plus by mixing the two my company can't find me on facebook ,they've been known to check out peoples social media pages and catch people out (being on facebook instead of working) or saying something they shouldn't . i'm currently have 10 or so fishing groups i belong too and several car pages .you doo get some intrusion by google/facebook targeting you for advertising perposes but you can block most of it ,only put the minimum info in your profile and only accept people too your friends list if you know them or they have several "friends" in common ,keep control of it rather than let it control you .

i don't really do blogs ,but i did set up a site just for keeping a record of my endeavours for reference purposes (it also helps with posting the info to other sites and facebook ,i have to link back to my site too tell the tales because i cant always get all the info laid out properly in facebook ,I've some stuff too update/add on there too ,should keep me from getting too bored over the festive season .

http://ref.yuku.com/directory

You do some great things over there :-)

Return to “Mordex Reels”