rod rests

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
The VFC
Brown Trout

Re: rod rests

Post by The VFC »

loop erimder wrote:Don't see the point using a boat if fishing in such shallow water :sarcasm:
Must be a strong flow then because you still can't hold bottom....

Waterweed

Post by Waterweed »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Ah, the Rod Stick Gnomes, you have them in your parts too then?
Yes indeed, it would seem so! - No doubt that one or two of them get washed away when the river rises, but the frequency with which my stick rests disappear at the carp lake would easily qualify as a Fortean phenomenon!
Last edited by Waterweed on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Smallscale and CraigM, thanks for not expanding on my tackle, and I have now learnt not to hang it over the side!!

Loop erimder, the point of fishing from a punt is you can fish in places otherwise unfishable from the bank. The depth of water is irrelevant. You can also trot more effectively in other places, such as the middle of a wide river, without having to mend the line much. You can also have lots of tackle with you without having to carry it from one spot to the next. Also, when lure fishing from a punt you can hold the lure in the take zone much, much longer than from the bank. And it's much easier to look down into the fishes watery world when the water is clear. I can even sleep in mine on a bed chair, and have a proper bespoke canvass tent that fits over it, to keep the rain out. My punt can take 3 anglers, all trotting with 12-13' rods with ease, bar one or two mis-cast tangles etc. If you fancy a trip, just send me a pm!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Bigfish wrote:
Loop erimder, the point of fishing from a punt is you can fish in places otherwise unfishable from the bank. The depth of water is irrelevant. You can also trot more effectively in other places, such as the middle of a wide river, without having to mend the line much. You can also have lots of tackle with you without having to carry it from one spot to the next. Also, when lure fishing from a punt you can hold the lure in the take zone much, much longer than from the bank. And it's much easier to look down into the fishes watery world when the water is clear. I can even sleep in mine on a bed chair, and have a proper bespoke canvass tent that fits over it, to keep the rain out. My punt can take 3 anglers, all trotting with 12-13' rods with ease, bar one or two mis-cast tangles etc. If you fancy a trip, just send me a pm!!
Sorry Bigfish I didnt't mean it in that way I was referring to the post from The VFC about testing the temperature of the water and depth, the bit about dangling tackle over the boat. It probably didn't make sense and now reading it back it doesn't my apologies :hide: :oops:

And the offer of the boat trip would be very much appreciated one to keep in the memory bank for the future

Paul
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

No apologies required! I simply thought you did not fully understand the full advantages that boat fishing offers. If you want a boat trip you need to pm me before the 2nd week in July, after that I will be enjoying the school holiday. And guess what I'll be doing!!

Hemingway

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Bigfish wrote:No apologies required! I simply thought you did not fully understand the full advantages that boat fishing offers. If you want a boat trip you need to pm me before the 2nd week in July, after that I will be enjoying the school holiday. And guess what I'll be doing!!
:hat: I will get to work on my diary and calendar of events, other than real work i'm going to have a very busy few months ahead
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Big Fish & Loop,

Do let us know how you get on on any trip. Tight lines.

Loop. Remember to take your snorkelling gear just in case ........!

Perhaps a joint expedition to recover BF's rod rest!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

CraigM wrote:- 'Perhaps a joint expedition to recover BF's rod rest!'

If you fancy a trip, simply send me a pm with a tel. no., before the 2nd week in July.

Hemingway

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

For me the quintessential vintage rest is the plain mild steel, black painted Vee covered with red rubber tubing. It will find a purchase in the most difficult of banksides and is low tech enough whilst still remaining a useful bit of kit.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Over the many years, I've collected numerous Efgeeco rod rests (original brass version) and the rubber heads, far to many if you ask the Mrs. Cracking rests, I like them, as the rubber heads protect the cane, unlike some of the modern harder versions.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”