Winter carp fishing on small waters.....is it worth it

This forum is for discussing carp.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Winter carp fishing on small waters.....is it worth it

Post by Shaun Harrison »

AC2's were my number one choice for floater fishing for some years. I landed some good fish with those rods. I also used them a fair bit during the winter with conventional set-ups when I used to scale things down a little.

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

On small waters there is something i call `The Window`this is a significant feeding period .sometimes it can be a very short period of feeding activity..

One thing i have learned is `the window`can open for similar periods of time and at a similar point as well.

i really rate margin float fished prawns fished hard on the deck ,i also loose feed a little amount of hemp and groats this seems to stimulate the carp into feeding ..

another thing i use is a small quill or pole float taking no more than a no 6 shot with no shot at all near the hook bait /prawn..

i normally use a centrepin reel for maximum stealth and playing enjoyment..but last year i was given a nice 300 and adopting similar tactics to the above i had a catch of 10 low doubles on a very cold day indeed ...

brilliant fun.....also a bonus is that some of the bigger silver fish fall to this tactic as well...

Last edited by Wandle1 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

After putting this subject on and recieving much appreciated advice I went yesterday afternoon to a local day ticket water, no one else was on the 2.5 acre pool, it was overcast, spitting with rain and a strong wind had picked up from the north and was gusting down the pool, decided to fish the deeper area with meat on one rod and a big lob on the other, after an hour decided to fish the shallower end plus it was largely out of the wind ! tried bread and corn as well.

After all the good advice I'm afraid to say that due to me ! I did not get a bite and packed up as the light went, however it was good to be out and my 1920's wood/alloy/slater latch nottingham reel had its first outing, its got a lineguard which is riveted on so can only use it right handed, this took a little getting used too but it was a pleasure to use. Instead of my basket I took my old lafuma seat, unused for over 20 years, forgot how low you are to the ground on it...but extremely simple and comfortable if like me you like the laid back legs straight out position ! could reach the rods perfectly so all was well apart from not needing to too.. apart from re-casting ! no dipping float or bobbin moving to attend too.

So my next still water trip in a weeks time will be to another small pool, as with the other one I have never fished it before, will report then, and thanks again for all you gentlemen's advice and encouragement.

Tight lines
Dave

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Rutland Rod wrote:After putting this subject on and recieving much appreciated advice I went yesterday afternoon to a local day ticket water, no one else was on the 2.5 acre pool, it was overcast, spitting with rain and a strong wind had picked up from the north and was gusting down the pool, decided to fish the deeper area with meat on one rod and a big lob on the other, after an hour decided to fish the shallower end plus it was largely out of the wind ! tried bread and corn as well.

After all the good advice I'm afraid to say that due to me ! I did not get a bite and packed up as the light went, however it was good to be out and my 1920's wood/alloy/slater latch nottingham reel had its first outing, its got a lineguard which is riveted on so can only use it right handed, this took a little getting used too but it was a pleasure to use. Instead of my basket I took my old lafuma seat, unused for over 20 years, forgot how low you are to the ground on it...but extremely simple and comfortable if like me you like the laid back legs straight out position ! could reach the rods perfectly so all was well apart from not needing to too.. apart from re-casting ! no dipping float or bobbin moving to attend too.

So my next still water trip in a weeks time will be to another small pool, as with the other one I have never fished it before, will report then, and thanks again for all you gentlemen's advice and encouragement.

Tight lines
Dave
I blanked too, yesterday, Dave - on a water where I've already caught several carp this November. The pool seemed dead or asleep and nothing moved or jumped. And that north wind! I'd rather fish in the frost than put up with that...

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

FarliesBirthday wrote:
Rutland Rod wrote:After putting this subject on and recieving much appreciated advice I went yesterday afternoon to a local day ticket water, no one else was on the 2.5 acre pool, it was overcast, spitting with rain and a strong wind had picked up from the north and was gusting down the pool, decided to fish the deeper area with meat on one rod and a big lob on the other, after an hour decided to fish the shallower end plus it was largely out of the wind ! tried bread and corn as well.

Tight lines
Dave
I blanked too, yesterday, Dave - on a water where I've already caught several carp this November. The pool seemed dead or asleep and nothing moved or jumped. And that north wind! I'd rather fish in the frost than put up with that...
I managed to get out just as the light was dropping and fished until 6 pm with no action. This is the 'window' my local fish seem to be feeding in at the moment. The air pressure is much higher than I would have liked for the venue I was on (quite deep - 18 ft plus) but it seems it possibly effected the fish in shallower waters too.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Shaun and Farlie for your experiences on the same day ! am on hols next week so will be having another couple of short sessions hopefully my float will dip and my bobbins rise !
Tight lines
Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

P1000092.JPG
P1000094.JPG
After my enjoyable but blank session a couple of weeks ago I tried my other pool yesterday afternoon, in contrast to last time on the other pool there was little wind and sunshine, not knowing what is in the pool or its depth and features I went for a spot next to the pool's only patch of lily's, flake on the float rod with the Nottingham wood/alloy pin and a big lob on the ledger, tiny fish dimpling but no movement of the float or fairy liquid bobin after an hour I switched to sweetcorn on the basis that the pool is shot over for duck and there were feeders at both ends. A few mins later and the float drifted away and a pristine roach of about 8oz was caught, then another of similar size. Then the bobin shot up and this little winter carp was caught, was I now on a roll......no ! the temperature started to drop with the light now going I packed up very pleased with a winter carp and discovering a new water near home.
Tight lines
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Well done RR. Conditions are looking spot on for more carp action these next couple of days.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Great winter result, RR

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

One of my members on Ashmead just landed a 30+ common and 37+ mirror this afternoon..... Not a particularly small water but mostly quite shallow and very intimate.... Wish I had time to get out!

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”