Edward Barder barbus maximus

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: Edward Barder barbus maximus

Post by TemeLAD »

Irrespective of who, when, where a split cane rod was made, expecting one to perform in our larger rivers is optimistic to say the least and that's putting it politely. I believe that the Barbus Maximus was designed to primarily fish the Hants Avon and for that matter touch legering I doubt it's creator ever imagined it would be used like a carbon rod.

Design fault - No! User fault - definitely. I love my cane rods but I wouldn't use any of them on the Trent or Severn, to name two rivers that have me reaching for a carbon rod. :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

TemeLAD,
I guess that is the conclusion that I quickly came to, and that is why I parted with it quite swiftly.

I do use other cane rods on the Trent, some of which are not now perfectly straight. I do not consider that too serious on rods costing a quarter of a Barder. However when the same occurred in just 3 sessions, on a rod that was then worth £1000, I personally couldn't live with it. I was fishing well downstream, just off the main current and not using more than 1oz lead, so it should have coped with that.

Nice looking rod though, if not suited to the purpose!
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

I think there are two points here - a carbon user switching to cane, and a design fault in the taper. On the latter, I'll defer to Ryan.

None of my own cane rods has ever developed a kink in the top joint. A slight set - yes, but I was brought up on cane so, if pressure was to be applied to the fish, it came from the butt not the tip.

Looking at the spec. of the Barbus Maximus on the Barder website, it quotes a test-curve of 1.5lb, with a recommended line weight of 6 - 8lbs, which I found a bit light.

Without wishing to criticise Barder rods - I could never afford one, anyway, - the artistry of the finish would not compensate for the blank -the 'engine' of the rod.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Hmmm interesting discussion I have at least 6 Barders so feel qualified to give an opinion the original Maximus was designed to fish open water with Sweet corn and 6lb line not for the Trent and 17lB fish in flood water when Barder realised thar Barbel were growing he changed the tapers to allow for bigger fish that doesn't mean the original had a design fault.
I don't like some of Barders tapers however design fault that would take some proving for me horses for courses he moved on which
He is not the same as a design fault.
Bumble.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Thanks Bumble you helped me make my point more eloquently, especially with your obvious practical knowledge of Barder rods new and old :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Nailbourne,
Just a couple of points of clarification.
*The tip joint was developing a slight gentle set and certainly not a kink.

*I was a regular user of cane rods on the Trent rather than having just switched from carbon. I had in fact caught a 13lb'er in flood conditions on an Avon 3 years earlier.

*It was a Mk1 so I guess Edward may have been updated it to a MK2 for just this reason.

I am not slagging off his rods, but sadly this one was just not up to the purpose for which I bought it.

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have a MkIV carp rod, not a Barder, built in the 1990's. I've caught about 100 carp up to mid teens on it. There is a slight droop to the tip. I've fought a 16lbs fish through heavy weed with it and won the day. I don't doubt that the rod is fit for the purpose but equally I'm not surprised it's showing signs of wear given what I've put it through. If you want dead straight rods that stay straight no matter what then cane is likely to disappoint.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Beresford the joy of cane it's a living thing any cane rod that is used on a regular basis will have something not quite right if you want it dead straight leave it in the rack
Bumble

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Agreed.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

never seen a set in an impregnated rod, not saying there hasn't been one, but i've not come across one, even on ebay pics
they all look straight

ATB Macko

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”