Book finds

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Luke
Grayling

Re: Book finds

Post by Luke »

DaceAce wrote:
Des Norris wrote:Hi all,
Picked up a first edition of the whopper at a library sale for 50p and a first edition of rough river and small stream fishing at a jumble sale for 20p, both ex library copies, but they still seem to go for a reasonable price.

Des Norris,
I've heard, and I may be wrong, that the first edition of The Whopper only ran to about 500 copies of which close on 450 went to libraries so the chance of a non ex-library one is very rare.
It sometimes seems that every other second-hand BB book I pick up is an ex-library copy. An enormous proportion of his books must have been sold to libraries. Certainly far far more than any other author I come across in my work.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Alcock's '38/'39 Guide from a 'bric-a-brac' stall - 10p :huray:

Doomsday Book of Mammoth Pike from an antique centre - £8

Alive on a Rainy Day, Deepening Pool/Casting at/How to Fish, Monarch of the Thames (first ed) plus several other books all for just £5

First Angling Times Book with dust jacket from a boot sale - £2

The Grayling Angler from a library sale - 50p
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Some of mine have to be in this topic. I also found a first edition "Casting at the sun" for 50p at a boot fair but sold it after having financial difficulties after the kids were born for £135.

Here's the list books. All were bought off ebay for £17.03

Pike Fishing The practice and the passion (Mick Brown first ed)
Fishing a pictorial Guide (Clive Gammon first ed)
Angler's mail annuals 1976 and 1981
An Introduction to Carp Fishing (David Batten)
The complete book of float fishing (Allan Haines)
The Penguin Book of fishing (Ted Lamb)
The Fisherman's World In Pictures (Slava Stochl)
Angling for All (Peter Foster) Illustrated by Jack Buckley......I've fallen in Love with this book...amazing pictures.
Modern Match Fishing (Dave King)
How to be the Worlds Best Fisherman (Bob Nudd) x 2 different editions
Specimen Hunters Handbook (Trevor Housby)
Specimen Hunting (Len Arbery & Neil pope)
A regional Guide to Fishing in Britain (Marshall Cavendish)
Lets Go Fishing (Michael Pritchard)
Fishing for all (Ted Douglas)
Coarse Fishing is Easy (DN Puddepha)..........Old Book
About Fishing (Robert Hartman)...........another Old Book
Fishing with the Experts (Charles Wade)
Angling in Colour (Hamlyn)x2

3 sea fishing books

and 5 fly fishing tying books

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

me jealous too....did find some good country books at the antiques barn place in Ely as well as some fishing tackle.But not bargins like those.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

me neither I have had look in charity shops but with no luck the one by me when it gets a rare book or record seem to want top dollar they had a book in there the other day for 300 pound it was at Oxfam so I dowt id get bargain there they also have beatle albums for over 100quid

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

a lot of these charity shops are on the ball now they as soon as they get books in they look them up on the net to see if there worth anything you have to be lucky to get a bargain

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I've had loads of bargain books from boot sales including a stack of first eds how to catch them books for 50p each but my best one was in a charity shop when I got a first ed Casting at the Sun for £2.00, its signed too but sadly doesn't look like Mr Yates signature.
I also got a few first editions when one of the town libraries was having a sale including a couple of books by BB, DCFs Small stream Fishing etc. These books usually go for 20p-50p each but they are stamped inside with the usual library stamps, it doesn't stop you from being able to read them though and the dust covers are usually mint having been covered up from day one.

I haven't had a decent find for a while now but its all down to being there at the right time, making the effort to go to every sale could really pay off..

Wal.

Isolation

Post by Isolation »

I've had a few decent charity shop and boot fair finds along the way;

Signed paperback of The Carp Strikes Back for 50p
Casting At The Sun paperback for 50p
River Piking for £2.50

non fishing, 1st edition of Winnie The Pooh for £4.00

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I think the way to go is boot sales but its like looking for a needle in hay stack and I cant be bothered id rather go fishing or go for a decent walk than go looking for something you may never find

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

Somewhere down the crazy river, mint condition for £4 from a house clearance shop

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”