Reel Modifications

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Estaban

Re: Reel Modifications

Post by Estaban »

Kevanf1 wrote:A thought for your perusal... Hypothetically, take one Speedia with a worn out grub screw. Grind the grub screw flat to the threads, leaving those threads of course. Now, put the reel and spool back together and drop a tiny ball bearing into the hole where the grub screw is placed. A few drops of oil and now replace that modified grub screw.

Could it work to bring back a Speedia (or other reel of course) from the damaged/awaiting repair pile?
That would be an optimal repair, the ball bearing giving a single point of contact on the pin. Not being familiar with the internals of a Speedia, the only concern would be if grub screw housing (for lack of a better term) would keep the ball captive, that is does the end of the pin sit inside the housing or does the grub screw extend out from it to contact the pin?

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Estaban, I think it's a pretty snug area where the grub screw goes into. I could be wrong however. If I am then I would modify my thoughts with a slightly larger ball bearing. Assuming there would be enough space between the end of the spindle and the threaded housing for the grub screw.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

That space would be the only limitation then, adding the ball bearing could prove not just bringing the reel out of the awaiting repairs, but also improve performance by reduced friction. If you try this please post the results.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

It has been something that has been dancing around in my mind for a few years. I thought it might be good to get the idea out there for others to think about and possibly benefit from. I have one or two reels in which it may work. It is merely a matter of getting hold of some small ball bearings. The ones that used to be available from ink cartridges for fountain pens would have been ideal. Sadly they are now sealed with a plug of plastic :(
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

I wonder if small bearings would be available at a hobby shop for use in RC airplanes or some such. Just checked one of my supplier catalogs, Enco, the smallest chrome bearings they carry are 1/16" but 100 pc. minimum.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Excellent idea :) In fact, there is always the dreaded eBay.....

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

My small model engines (Enya .09 cu in and OS .15 cu in) run on plain bearings, Sir.

OOPS ... my engines are old (I like vintage planes)... apparently, the new ones use roller bearings ! Doesn't technology move on apace ???
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Like the idea of a small ball bearing taking the place of the grub screw, sounds like it would work in theory, but as the grub screw is designed to take up the float, then i assume it would still need to be in place to take up any float in the reel, so you would need a shorter grub screw or a longer end cap.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

John65 wrote:Like the idea of a small ball bearing taking the place of the grub screw, sounds like it would work in theory, but as the grub screw is designed to take up the float, then i assume it would still need to be in place to take up any float in the reel, so you would need a shorter grub screw or a longer end cap.
Yes, I was thinking perhaps a reel where the grub screw was now in need of replacement, hence allowing for experimentation. Grub screws are usually tapered so my thoughts would be to grind this down therefore shortening the grub screw (but not ruining a good one). This would then leave adjustment available to get the end float spot on :)

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Nobby wrote:
It might be interesting to try a copper screw as a grub screwin a Youngs or Speedia if anyone ever comes across some copper studding in 6BA.
3mm brass rod would be a good starting point. This would have to be turned down (or smoothed away using emery would do it but it would need to be consistent) slgihtly as 6BA outside diameter comes out at around 2.5 to 2.8mm depending on who you ask..

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”