List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Nobby »

For those of you thinking that Jim has spent too long in the sunshine....

The first few Ambidexes were handmade and numbered....

Number 1 has yet to be discovered.

Or has it????

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

Just to go slightly lateral, and because I only took the photos last week.

In 1945 the Dingley reel-making shop began producing a fixed spool reel.
The "reel was deemed to have "transgressed the patents for the Ambidex reel, and they had to stop making it""
[the quote within the quote is from Ernest Dingley's son - and below is Ernest's own reel]

Only produced for a short while, so relatively rare. To date I've only seen half bail arm and finger pick up models

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Hi Nobby - I was hoping you'd pop along! To be honest I was a little confused for awhile.
Ambi 1 01.jpg
So I turned to Elwyn's book - the definitive on Youngs reels to my mind - and look for the defining characteristics of the original ambidex, dubbed by him "The Casting Reel" Type One:
- Single name plate marked "J. W. Young and Sons, Redditch, Eng" and "Prov. Patent No. 17739", plate of brass on left hand side. CHECK!
- Line drum tensioer of bakelite w/ "The Ambidex Casting Reel" and "Increase - Tension" CHECK! This line drum bearing the part no 24A and with no serrations - CHECK! but it also has the JWY part No. 170 - but then I noticed that the one pictured in Elwyn's book does too!
- Crinkle black finish, black bakelite handle grip, chromium plated nut CHECK!
Ambi 04 Inside cover.jpg
But now we go internal where Elwyn expects us to find :
- hand engraved identification numbers on flyer, side plate, reel body and gear wheel - NO!
- operating arm with spring is made of copper and brass - CHECK!

So why no hand engraving? Elwyn's book reckons that the Type 2 doesn't have hand engraving because they stopped doing this as parts were mass produced - and so I must reluctantly identify the reel I purchased as a very early Casting Reel Type 2, the confusion resulting partly from some mixed up pictures in the book. The deciding factor? - the screw recesses in the cover, cut so that the cover could fit over the guides on the reel body.

Not QUITE the Holy Grail of Ambidexes - but pretty darn close! Though in the process I also discovered that there may well be more that 1 "#1"s - as this refers to the reel within the batch (of 200) so it all depends on whether there was more than one batch of Type 1's made.

Funnily enough it wasnt even the favourite reel i bought today - that spot being reserved for a funny home made Altex-alike with "Patent 1950" deeply scratched into the hand made plate by the proud maker. I liked the Duplex Mk Ii as well - but it had too much damage for me to buy.

ATB
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Love it Churchill - the whole patents business can be quite amusing sometimes: for awhile Hardy had the patent on full bail arms so, theoretically at least, nobody else should have made them until 1951!

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

The VFC wrote:Love it Churchill - the whole patents business can be quite amusing sometimes: for awhile Hardy had the patent on full bail arms so, theoretically at least, nobody else should have made them until 1951!
VFC, I assume you mean the (pre Altex) bail arm patent of 1931. Although, today, you can extend the life of your patent by paying Renewal fees up to 20 years I've a feeling that prior to 1977, the period of time was shorter - 15/16 years?
And, off course, there comes a time approaching the end of a patent's life when it may not be viable to re-new.

As we know, not everyone complied with patent rules.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Fascinating stuff chaps.

I understand that Hardy allowed Youngs to make full bail arm reels....and that this is possibly because Youngs were quietly making some reels for them!

Jim, you should PM a newish member on here, Moley....he has some chums who worked for Youngs at this period!

Whilst I wouldn't want to say for sure, I did learn a couple of things that made me wonder if Elwyn had been given the correct information on some reels. People's memories sometimes vary and misunderstandings can happen.
I'm no expert and the questions arose about reels other than Ambidexes anyway.

Either way, you both have very rare reels there!

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I wonder, are my old "sewing machines" of any interest?

This Ambidex was given to me a very old friend (now with God) who taught me to fish with the fixed-spool, when I was a lad. He bought it new and used it for the rest of his life, virtually every day during the seasons, together with his Allcocks "Stanley". The crack in the saddle was repaired and never gave any problems. Besides the "Stanley", I still have the original box, instruction leaflet and packing that came with the Ambidex, all in perfect condition.
The inside has bronze springing and washers.

I bought the Allcocks "Duco" brand new in Messrs. A.H. & V.R.Jeffery's Tackle shop, 15, Old Town Street, Plymouth and still have the red box, tissue paper and packing it came in!

Both reels are finished with black "crackle" paint, although the Ambidex has lost most of it through honest wear.

With regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Hi WM - very interesting reels those: the Ambidex Looks like an early No.1 Type 1 to me - though I'm looking at very small pictures here! The Duco is a smashing reel and looks in good nick - and looks to be an early one too, though I'm not sure when the patent was approved. The Duco was produced as early as 1946 though, when did you purchase it from new may I ask? Mind you stock could stay on shelves for sometime pre- "must have latest gear every year" thinking!!

You are a lucky chap to have them both!
Jim

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm told Youngs had the black 'crackle' finish paint to hand because they had been manufacturing aircraft instruments during WW2.

WV+, you are a hoarder!

God bless you for it!

I too have an Ambidex, a Type 2FP with box and tissue paper. That's history, that is.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Nobby wrote:
Jim, you should PM a newish member on here, Moley....he has some chums who worked for Youngs at this period!

Whilst I wouldn't want to say for sure, I did learn a couple of things that made me wonder if Elwyn had been given the correct information on some reels. People's memories sometimes vary and misunderstandings can happen.
I'm no expert and the questions arose about reels other than Ambidexes anyway.
I'm thinking you may be right there Nobby - though I'm inclined to give Elwyn the benefit of the dubt in most cases as I think his book is so good! Part of the probelm is that he didn't necessarily write it as a product list: so it can be easy to mistake his intentions when he lists a reel/ model's features - I didn't explain that very well, but I'm guessing you know what I mean!

Jim

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”