Major Disapointment

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Barbelbonce
Rudd

Re: Major Disapointment

Post by Barbelbonce »

The measure which we always had in mind when calculating biomass levels in our still waters was the old, (from old water authority booklets that used to be published and freely distributed to anyone who wanted them - very helpful and still relevant in many regards) recommended max. of 300 - 350lb per acre in a lowland estate lake, which is the type of still water with which I had responsibility. Thinning-out happened every few years at certain waters as we gallantly attempt to maintain this sort of level. The long defunct consultatives were also knowledgeable and helpful in this area.
I'm unsure who made, and where, any suggestion that the EA financially benefit. If ref is being made to my comment "..its all about the money...", or something, above, that was direct comment on the syndicate owner's income. The EA might only benefit from increased licence sales.....measure that, though!!
A 3 acre lake publicised as being "exclusively carp", a "stated max." of 125 syndicate members, each paying £125.00 p.a. means a gross income for the syndicate owner of £15,625.00 p.a. In my experience, the rent will probably be some distance South of £5,000.00 p.a. Manintenance and stocking costs p.a.? - Minimal, from what I've seen.

If anyone can tell me how, accurately, to assess the biomass/acre in any lake, I'd be very pleased to hear!
Mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I am thinking you have grossly underestimated 'syndicate' prices!! Especially here in the south - I suspect that it may remain at the same or similar level when heading northwards.

Several carp syndicates near me are more like £500 - £100+. Exceptional waters being about £2k. Syndicate owners are usually the land owners as well.

Many clubs - one local with 3000 members - charge nearly £200 per season per member!

One Landowner has three syndicates - river coarse; river game and lakes coarse, at a cost for all three at about £800. A river trout syndicate is over £1000 and that is a cheap one!

The CEMEX angling portfolio was up for some £20m - which ended up in the end selling individual waters as no one was prepared to pay that amount. It involved some gravel pits, including the Horton Complex, Wraysbury Complex and the Yateley Complex of lakes as well a land adjoining several rivers, Kennet and Loddon being two. As the Angling section had some 8000 - 10000 members each year you can understand the initial asking price!

Day ticket waters vary but start at about £10 per day per rod like these:-
TICKET PRICE LIST
No. Rods Hours Adult
2 12 £25.00
2 24 £30.00
3 12 £30.00
3 24 £35.00

And upwards!

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

I think some of the prices for some clubs / syndicates are discusting, If you were a out and out carp angler and you fished every weekend (48 hours) at the same lake ,then maybe you could justify the cost, but if like me you like to fish different venues the cost limits your choice, my local is about £90 a year, but only because I don't nightfish, that would be £250 extra, a few times I think I have found what I am looking for ie peaceful/pretty/uncrowded and a fence round it,then after a few phone calls you find out the price which is between £500 and £1,500,.I did manage to do a deal with one club, It was about £500 a season, by fishing just the winter and only on mon/tues/wed/thur ,no weekends or night fishing I got it down to about £150,happy days, after 10 or 12 trips and not a single pike I gave it up, every carp angler on there told me there were no pike in there and them blokes don't take their eyes off the water, If a pike angler tells you there is nothing in there ,well that is when you know you are on to a good thing

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Possibly! Very few tell the truth!! :liar:

Regarding costs - remember that club that was fined!

How much is insurance for clubs? Are you covered? So what about day ticket fisheries? With all sorts of 'fishers' - not all are anglers!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”