E.T Barlow & Sons of Thames Ditton.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Dallan47
Minnow

Re: E.T Barlow & Sons of Thames Ditton.

Post by Dallan47 »

I have an original Avon Supreme in very good condition with its rod bag.

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

My first 'proper' rod was a Vortex solid glass spinning rod, white wooden handle, black painted blank and red whippings.
Caught many a perch from Eagle Pond Snaresbrook, late sixties time, paired with an Intrepid Black Prince.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I've got a Barlow cane rod and its wonderful, lovely dark flamed blank.Somewhere on this forum is some pictures of it. :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I visited the shop a few times, must have been about 1961 when cycling to the River Mole at Esher Mills or to the pond in the old peoples home behind the Council Offices in Esher! Remember the shop which according to Streetmap on Google Earth is exactly the same shop overlooking the Green!
The Green did have a pond I think?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Paul D wrote:I've got a Barlow cane rod and its wonderful, lovely dark flamed blank.Somewhere on this forum is some pictures of it. :Hat:
A rare rod Paul ........ I have the 11ft split cane model called " The General " It,s an exact copy of a Priory Rods " The Royalty" Barbel Rod.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Ljm183 wrote:
Paul D wrote:I've got a Barlow cane rod and its wonderful, lovely dark flamed blank.Somewhere on this forum is some pictures of it. :Hat:
A rare rod Paul ........ I have the 11ft split cane model called " The General " It,s an exact copy of a Priory Rods " The Royalty" Barbel Rod.
That's the model I have, not sure it would handle a decent Barbel though, tend to use mine for light legering and general float work..... Gave £30. for it :Thumb:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Paul D wrote: That's the model I have, not sure it would handle a decent Barbel though, tend to use mine for light legering and general float work..... Gave £30. for it :Thumb:
Dont forget Paul when these rods were made a decent Barbel would be in single figures..

The Priory Rods " The Royalty" that the Barlow is a copy of sell for around £160+ in good condition.

You don't see many E.T. Barlow cane rod,s . but plenty of glass .
Last edited by Ljm183 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

You show me yours and I'll show you mine :Chuckle:
Thanks for the info, like I said I got it cheap, think I probably spent another 30 odd pounds on a couple of rings and a re-whip etc . :Hat:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”