Post by Liphook »

5 lasgair! F-I-V-E five, so you must halve your list :Hahaha: :Hat:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Dry flies for river trout

Post by Paul F »

Iasgair wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:43 pm
Liphook wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:39 pm Interestingly we started with a request for a top 5 of generic river dries and soon went on to emergers and eventually dove deep down to Czech nymphs :Hahaha: That's why we all have at least 20 go-to-patterns and any number of fly boxes to accommodate all the varients, colours and 'justncasers' :Sun: It would be boring if there really was a 'do everything' top 5 that worked magic the world over! I'd take advice from those that have knowledge of your target waters BF as a bit of good local knowledge goes a very long way! :Thumb:
It went from dry flies to nymphs in two posts. Halford will be turning in his grave :Hahaha:
:laugh1: :laugh1: That's no joke.

Alright, dry flies it is.
Adams
Renegade
Elk Hair Caddis
Winged Ant
Red Humpy
Blue Wing Olive
Griffith's Gnat
Lime Trude
Green Drake
Pale Morning Dun
My all time USA designed fly is the late Gary La Fontaine's bubble caddis pupa, i always have some in my fly box.

I have all of his books, and i also have a letter from him with a bubble caddis tied by him.

What that man did not know about caddis flies is not worth knowing, and the knowledge is applicable all around the world where caddis exists.
Last edited by Paul F on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

BreadFlake wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:41 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:15 pm
BreadFlake wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:53 pm The thread has been a very overwhelming yet interesting one, I've learnt a lot thank's to everyone who has contributed. I'll definitely be looking at what Mole has said due to him being experienced with the rivers I intend to fish.

Am I right in thinking Spiders are traditionally a northern thing?
Generally, but there are exceptions. For example the rivers around Malton in North Yorkshire have a richer collection of fly life than the Wharfe, Swale and Ure so the flies are bigger and they may have a Mayfly hatch. Whilst many of the southern rivers also have what are termed the 'classic' fly hatches some of the rivers in Devon and Cornwall are more like northern rivers. With flies you cannot generalise and whilst you could safely get away with say twelve patterns if you fished one area of on river exclusively anglers on a different stretch upstream or down might use twelve different patterns.

There are some flies that represent a general shape and size so will work in most places. But if you fished something like a Whickhams Fancy or Red Spinner on a north Yorkshire river you might go home empty handed.
I feel like I need an etymology degree, is there any books regarding the subject that may educate me further? I think I've got more questions than when I began
No need for a degree in etymology. All you need is a tight meshed landing net. Find a choke point such as a chute between rocks and place the net downstream of it for a few minutes. What you discover in the net, along with basic observations of what is clinging to reeds, weeds and leaves will tell you all you need to know.

For the Don and Dearne sedges and tiny gnat / midge type flies will suffice. You will see the sedges and feel the midges and gnats.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Breadflake, if you go to the channel of Davie McPhail you can find a video showing the tying of a Lark&Grey and a Grey Duster (which has been mentioned before in this thread). I had a lot of success with these 2 flies in UK and in Europe. I will never be without them on a river.
And follow the advise of Paul F, he knows his fishing!
Best, Bobby

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have just read “Beginners Flies” again in Arthur Ransoms book Rod & Line.
Well worth a read, has an interesting take on it.
it’s one of my favourite books.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've always found the Wingless Wickhams has some sort of mystical pulling power where all other flies are ignored. Not entirely sure why but I wouldn't be without it. For nymphing, it's got to be the PTN - I've tied hundreds of the things - absolute killer pattern.
Russ

Return to “General Fly Chat”