sight bobs...

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: sight bobs...

Post by Snape »

farliesbirthday wrote:I wouldn't be without 'em...
I've been looking and there seems to be a whole variety of types. Can you recommend a good one?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I have had a good look around the web and, like Snape, I have found quite a variety of sight bobs including these yarn ones.
sight bobs.JPG
I don't fly fish very often so I had never heard of sight bobs and would never have thought of using them when carp fishing. I have in the past used a small float with no weights so it just lies flat on the surface. I suppose it is a similar thing :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Interesting that these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3x-Floati ... 025wt_1163 have a hook in them as apparently the trout often take the sight bob instead of the nymph!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:Interesting that these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3x-Floati ... 025wt_1163 have a hook in them as apparently the trout often take the sight bob instead of the nymph!
I would avoid the ones with fluff on, Snape, and go for the spongy sorts that look like rugby balls. I've had a quick look on Ebay, and the choice is a bit spartan on there at the moment, but the "right sort" do turn up quite often.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Ear plugs work OK - the sort you squeeze up into a tight ball then it expands in one's ear. Feebies if you work in that sort of environment or else B&Q type place.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
farliesbirthday wrote:I wouldn't be without 'em...
I've been looking and there seems to be a whole variety of types. Can you recommend a good one?
Dear Snape, I've been down to the shed for a rummage (ooh er!) - and the sight bobs I use, and would recommend, are by MasterLine, in three sizes - small, medium and large.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Have a look here Snape,

http://www.firsttackle.co.uk/acatalog/S ... ators.html
masterline sight bobs.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SilverBirch

Post by SilverBirch »

sight bobs 006 (600x450).jpg
These are the type I use but not as a product of much indepth research...they simply have good buoyancy for their small size. Most will suit and you can not go wrong with a little piece of pith after all.

SB

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

silverbirch wrote: you can not go wrong with a little piece of pith after all.
It really is that easy - a piece of pith? :chuckle:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

davyr wrote:
silverbirch wrote: you can not go wrong with a little piece of pith after all.
It really is that easy - a piece of pith? :chuckle:
Most amusing.. but seriously, I would consider factors like bouyancy and resistance...

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”