An Eight Pound Chub

This forum belongs to Mike Wilson.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: An Eight Pound Chub

Post by Shaun Harrison »

6.09 is an equal monster on the Trent Bob. A friend of mine has struggled for a 6 for years then this year has started fishing a different river and almost catching them weekly.

Not detracting from Mike's fish as it's a veritable monster, but veritable monsters only get caught where they live. I'm still awaiting my first 6 from the Trent. A 5.15 and a half just would not sit at 6. It was well and truly spawned out and I'd imagine that one would be closer to 7 if I could catch it at this time of the year.

Lovely to still have those attainable targets and also knowing the game plan can move several stages further by a simple change of river and driving time.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It is great to see such big fish, over 6lb and more, in abundance in many rivers across the country. Gives a chance of a fish of a lifetime to many anglers.

Now, when will it be the roach's turn?

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Well done Mike, that's the fish of our/your dreams and it's fantastic that a forum member has caught it. You can compare yourself to such names as Terry Lampard with a beauty like that. Well done again.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Congratulations Mike! Thanks for showing us. What's the record just out of interest? :Hat:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Wonderful specimen Mike. Well done!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Scott wrote:Congratulations Mike! Thanks for showing us. What's the record just out of interest? :Hat:
Chub record
9 5 0 2007 Andy Maker, Southern stillwater

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

In a 30 month period I caught 4 over the magic 6 and at least 3 of them were different fish. I haven't come close to a 6 in the last 4 years, so I guess there was a year class that have all now died out.

Like you said to me about the barbel, you need to take advantage when the good times are there because they won't last (enter that otter!). The same applies to perch at the moment, but for how long? :Hat:

Shaun Harrison wrote:6.09 is an equal monster on the Trent Bob. A friend of mine has struggled for a 6 for years then this year has started fishing a different river and almost catching them weekly.

Not detracting from Mike's fish as it's a veritable monster, but veritable monsters only get caught where they live. I'm still awaiting my first 6 from the Trent. A 5.15 and a half just would not sit at 6. It was well and truly spawned out and I'd imagine that one would be closer to 7 if I could catch it at this time of the year.

Lovely to still have those attainable targets and also knowing the game plan can move several stages further by a simple change of river and driving time.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Our Society have seven sections of different rivers where 7lbers have been caught - but none have come my way!

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Congratulations Mike. Very envious, was cheese paste his undoing!
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Good Grief, that's enormous! Well done!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Mike Wilson”