Closer to a ban on traditional lead weights.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Closer to a ban on traditional lead weights.

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I'm usually optimistic with these things but I'm not on the lead scenario. Talk to any none angler and lead piping is something you rip out of a old house because it isn't safe to run water through.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Aquaerial wrote:
Kevin wrote:Blasting in lead shot from a gun cartridge is still perfectly fine though.

Oh really? I thought shooting lead over wetlands had been banned for years and steel or bismuth had to be used. What do you think you will achieve Kevin by dividing Country Sports with loose talk of this nature and with such venom? Please reflect..
Thank you,

I gave up my licence years ago,I should have checked on the laws, sorry guns.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Kevin wrote:
Aquaerial wrote:
Kevin wrote:Blasting in lead shot from a gun cartridge is still perfectly fine though.

Oh really? I thought shooting lead over wetlands had been banned for years and steel or bismuth had to be used. What do you think you will achieve Kevin by dividing Country Sports with loose talk of this nature and with such venom? Please reflect..
Thank you,

I gave up my licence years ago,I should have checked on the laws, sorry guns.
Quality response Kevin...and I return the same for giving you a shot over the bows.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yes Shaun I was about, and had been fishing for about 30 years by then - but checking the use or selling? Who did that? Weights & Measures?

Sea anglers collect as many spark plugs as you can - very suitable as sea fishing weights.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Olly wrote:Yes Shaun I was about, and had been fishing for about 30 years by then - but checking the use or selling? Who did that? Weights & Measures?

Sea anglers collect as many spark plugs as you can - very suitable as sea fishing weights.
Water Authority bailiff's at the time (rod licence checker's) were the ones checking on the bank in what was then the Severn Trent Region where I was checked.

Can't remember who was enforcing it on the shops but certainly the warnings from the Angling Trade Association was enough to put us off thinking about selling it. I would imagine the shops were visited undercover, as you will recall there were reports in the Angling press at the time of shops being caught out.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Remember the type of person we are up against. These people vote!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Once again the law is an ass :roll:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Well a ban on all lead weights can only be a good thing for the protection of the environment. I must admit it's something that has concerned me for a long while. I would think that most of us here on the TFF never use a lead weight over an ounce anyway and therefore won't notice any change as we are already using the lead free alternatives.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

There are billions of fishing weights in the rivers I fish. I pick out a handful of stones every time I need them. Flat ones, round ones and even some with holes through them. Araldite on a piece of wire with a swivel slipped through and away you go! I did laugh when Stonze came on the market!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Richard O
Silver Bream

Post by Richard O »

When I was a lad...... I remember that when they opened the lock gates on the Medway (not sure if they still do it) and lowered the water levels we used to walk along the inner banks of the river and used to find all sorts of things including lead weights and floats which others had lost.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”