Eagle Pond Wanstead

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
BobH

Re: Eagle Pond Wanstead

Post by BobH »

There are still a few of the Forest Ponds that you can fish, hopefully we can have a Norf Lundon Traditional Fishermans trip at the beginning of thew New Season ?

Where do you Fancy ?

Bob

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

maybe Wake Valley or Baldwins?

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

John/Bob

There are 25 ponds where fishing is allowed in Epping Forest and its surrounds.

some are small and obscure and some we've mentioned already.

I'd go for Baldwins or Lost Pond myself.

Gaz

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

gaztheangler wrote:John/Bob

There are 25 ponds where fishing is allowed in Epping Forest and its surrounds.

some are small and obscure and some we've mentioned already.

I'd go for Baldwins or Lost Pond myself.

Gaz
Im up for that Baldwins , one early summer evening .....Tinca Tinca might put in an apperance

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

gaztheangler wrote:I fished Eagle Pond a couple of times back in the late 70's, dont remember catching much just the usual small roach and perch.

Me and my mates used to mainly fish Rapheals Park in Romford, Connaught Waters, Higham's Park, Hollow Ponds, and the River Lea at Cooks Ferry back then. We night fished Connaught and Highams a few times and had a great opening night at Highams in about 79 when two lads were wheeling a barrow full of booze around that they'd nicked from a local offies storage shed, giving out cans at every swim. I wouldn't condone it now of course, but great fun then.

I'm targeting the Epping Forest Ponds this year again for Tench and Crucian, I like them they are quiet quite, free and the sit well with my semi-trad view of my fishing. I'll be fishing Lost Pond on 17 June, never fished it before, stating on Baldwins after Tench on the 16th.

Gaz

are the green parrots still flying around Highams?

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Didnt see any .Lovely looking lake......Just not sure if theres any fish in there, no idea, no one fishing there to ask.

However the Ranger told me that there were fish in all the Forest lakes.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

John, Ian,

Another of my boyhood haunts had my PB Tench out of there, 5lbs. Still my PB 33 years later.

I fished it last year on a whim and blanked but I'd only taken jelly pellets with me as they had been proving good for Tench and Crucians at Earls Path Pond. I saw a big shoal of Roch or Rudd jusat below the surface

Higham used to have Pike, Perch, Roach, Rudd, Carp and Tench. I think like some of the other forest ponds they have taken out most of the larger Carp, but they have put more Tench in according to the Rangers.

Worth a go I think.

Gaz

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Ian,

Forgot to say we used to see the little Green Parrots, actually ring necked Parakets I think in the 70's and 80's not seen any since.

My Brother lives in Biggin Hill in Kent and they are always in his back garden.

Gaz

BobH

Post by BobH »

There are Parakets still about, saw half a dozen on the tree's at Walthamstow Trout Reservior last week.

The Flock moved to Wraysbury, then to the London/Irish Rugby ground, before the Popular Trees were cut down.

the Main flock has dispersed all over London now.

I saw quite a few in Hyde Park the other week ?

Bob

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

As a little tale.... many years ago I was fishing the Eagle at Snaresbrook and about midnight one night a load of police cars went bombing past.... a police van pulled up and the driver asked us what we were doing..... well with all the rods out it was a daft question and we told him so.... he asked if we'd seen anyone come running past, we replied no and jokingly asked "why who's he killed"? and the copper replied that the owner of the Rising sun had been shotgunned to death minutes ago... we packed up there and then and armed ourselves with our stoutest & sharpest banksticks (yes I know :oops: ) and called our mates mum for a lift home....
But ever since then the place has always had an atmosphere of ....... "Menace" I think is the only way to describe it
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”